43. Who's Side Are You On?

Genevieve and Tom didn't find Gellert at his safe house in Bulgaria, where they thought he would be, as that was the place Genevieve had spent the most time in, growing up.
But after searching several of his properties, they found Gellert in Finland, which is where he had planned his failed take-over, in 1945.
Genevieve was glad that they had found him quickly, without her having to take Tom to any safe houses in France, as she hadn't wanted to find Mathilde and Hannah by accident.

"Hello Setä" Genevieve said quietly, as her and Tom walked into the ruins of the living room, where Gellert sat on one of the sofas.
Genevieve hated how time had destroyed one of the places that had once been her home.
But she had other things to worry about, other than the state of her old house.
Like whether or not, both her and her father were going to make it out alive.

"Genevieve" mumbled Gellert.
As Genevieve got closer to her father, she saw just how weak and emaciated he looked.
His bones were more prominent than ever. And even though he had been freed from his prison cell, his years in Nurmengard had taken a toll on his body.
He looked close to death, and Genevieve hated seeing him that way.
She approached the sofa and sat down beside him, taking hold of hand.
"It's me father. I came back to see you" she whispered.

"Remember who's side you are on Genevieve. We did not come here to play happy families" Tom said coldly.
Genevieve glared at Tom and stood back up to join him.
"Have a heart, Vee, just look at him. He's in no state to be questioned" hissed Genevieve.
"I have no intention of dragging this out, or making him suffer for longer than necessary. Our time here will be brief" insisted Tom.
"Then let's just do what we came here to do, and leave my father in peace" replied Genevieve.

Tom turned from Genevieve to face Gellert.
"I am here, because I have found out that you have something that belongs to me" announced Tom.
"I don't believe that I have anything in my possession that ought to be yours" frowned Gellert.
"I seek the Elder Wand. I saw through a memory of Gregorovitch, that you were the one who stole it" replied Tom.
"When I heard that Gregorovitch had been found dead, I wondered how long it would be until someone came after me, looking for that wand".

"Well, where is it then?" Demanded Tom.
"Hunting me down has been a waste of your time, for I never had the wand" answered Gellert.
"Don't lie to me! I saw a memory inside Gregorovitch's head, before I killed him. I saw you taking the Elder Wand from him, when you were just a boy. You cannot lie to Lord Voldemort!" Snapped Tom.
"I remember a time when you were merely a boy yourself, Tom Riddle"
"That name no longer has a meaning to me, my name is Lord Voldemort"
"No matter how many times you say that, it will never be true".

"Setä, you're not helping yourself, by calling him that name" sighed Genevieve, who knew that winding Tom up, was never a good idea.
"She's right, if you know what is good for you, you will stop lying, and hand over the Elder Wand" instructed Tom.
Gellert held out his empty hands, "I don't have it. In case you had forgotten, I spent around 50 years in prison. I haven't possessed a wand in a long time".
"But you were the one who had it last, so tell me where it is" ordered Tom.
"I never had it-"
"Stop lying!" Interupted Tom, as he pointed his wand at Gellert.
The power dynamic had shifted drastically, since their first meeting.
Back then, Tom had been a nervous little school boy, but now, he was the one who had all the power. And he was not going to let himself be intimidated by anyone, not even the famous Gellert Grindelwald.

"Tom, put your wand down, and stop threatening my father" instructed Genevieve.
"You are on my side, remember? You are my wife. For better or for worse, as long as both shall live. You cannot choose him over me" replied Tom.
"But he's my father, and I'm not going to let you hurt him" insisted Genevieve.
"It is not your job to challenge or undermine me. You're my wife, you are supposed to follow where I lead, and do as I say"
"And I do, normally. But this is different, because my father is the one you are pointing your wand at"
"Who cares if he's your father? He wasn't exactly there for you, when you were growing up. I shouldn't have to go easy on him, just because you two are related. I killed my own father, while I was still a student. I wasn't afraid to hold back, just because we were kin. And you should not take Gellert's side over mine".

"This isn't about sides. Stop making me choose between you two. You're my husband, and I love you. But Gellert is still my father, and nothing you say will change that" insisted Genevieve.
"If you want him to live, then get him to tell me where the Elder Wand is" Demanded Tom.
"He said he doesn't know where it is. And since he doesn't have the wand on him now, can't you just let it go. I said hunting down the Elder Wand was a lost cause from the beginning. And I've been proved right, because you are never going to find it" replied Genevieve.

"I will find it, with or without your father's help. And if he wants to live, he will tell me what I want to know" announced Tom, as he stepped closer to Gellert, and placed his wand on the old man's chest.
"I will not hesitate to kill you, if you do not give me what I want. I have killed hundreds of people. And you being my father-in-law, will not stop me from murdering you. So, tell me everything you know about the Elder Wand" continued Tom.
"I have lived a long time, I do not fear death as you do" smiled Gellert.
"This is your final warning" spat Tom.

"For Merlin's sake, Setä, just tell him who has the wand. He will get it eventually, and there is no need for you to die protecting the owner of the wand, who is no longer alive anyway. So, just tell him who has it" begged Genevieve.
Tom frowned and looked over at her, "It sounds like you know just as much about the location of the Elder Wand as he does".
Genevieve's eyes widened, when she realised that she had said too much.
"This is why you didn't seem to suprised when I said that your father was the thief in Gregorovitch's memory. Because you already knew" continued Tom.

"Vee, I can explain-" started Genevieve.
Tom raised his hand, silencing her.
"Enough. We wall talk about this more, when we get home" informed Tom.
He then looked back at Gellert, "So, you would rather die, then help me get what I want?".
"Kill me then, Lord Voldemort. I welcome death. My death will not bring you what you seek... There is so much you do not understand about the wand. You will not win. You cannot win. That wand will never, ever be yours!" Announced Gellert.

"Setä, stop antagonising him!" Yelled Genevieve.
"Very well, old man. You have made your choice. Avada Kedavra!" Shouted Tom.
Green light burst from Tom's wand, hitting Gellert, as Genevieve's screams filled the room.
"No!" She wailed, as she moved towards Gellert's lifeless body, and dropped onto her knees.
"Father, I am sorry" she whispered, as tears fell from her eyes.

She wiped her tears with the back of her hand, before looking over her shoulder at Tom.
"How could you? How could you kill my father?" She screamed.
"I killed my father. Killing yours was no harder. Death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints, or family members and strangers" said Tom coldly.
"HE WAS MY FATHER! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME!" Yelled Genevieve.
"While we are on the topic of being betrayed by those you love, why don't we head back home, and discuss your betrayal. Because I have a feeling that you know exactly where the Elder Wand is. And I'm sure that its location isn't the only thing you have hidden from me".
Tom roughly pulled Genevieve off her father's body, and apparated the two of them back to their home, so that he could interrogate her, without needing to worry about being interupted.