22. Pure Soul

Genevieve waited until they were back home, before confronting her husband. For Tom was unlikely to talk to her properly, with other people around.
"Why don't you give your new wand a spin and perform some magic" encouraged Tom excitedly.
"Maybe later... When exactly were you going to tell me about Dumbledore?" Questioned Genevieve.
"Tell you what about Dumbledore?" Frowned Tom.
"That you've instructed the young Malfoy boy to kill Dumbledore"
"Who told you about that?"
"I asked my question first. I also thought you were going to stop keeping secrets from me".

Tom sighed, and collapsed down into a nearby armchair.
"I wasn't going to tell you, until the boy had completed his mission or died trying, because I knew you wouldn't approve" he revealed.
"Damn right I wouldn't approve. Since when do we use 16 year old boys and get them to do our dirty work for us?" Quizzed Genevieve.
"I hardly think I'm using the boy. I'm giving him a chance to prove himself, and erase his father's mistakes. He was thrilled when I gave him the assignment" admitted Tom.
"I'm sure he was, because he's a young boy, who doesn't understand the difficulties he will face while trying to complete this task. Besides, he couldn't exactly say no to you, could he?".

"Why do you care so much about this boy?" Questioned Tom.
"Because as a mother, I know what it's like to lose your child to the cause. My sons died on a mission for you, and I don't want Narcissa to have to go through what I did" answered Genevieve.
"The two situations are not the same. The Malfoy boy won't be in any danger as his mission takes place at Hogwarts" reassured Tom.
"So, you really expect this 16 year old boy to kill Dumbledore and sneak death eaters into the castle, two things that have never been done before"
"No, not really. But I'm giving him until the end of the school year to try and complete his task. If and when he fails, Severus will step up and kill Dumbledore for me".

"Why don't you want to kill him yourself? You're not scared of facing Dumbledore, because he beat you at the Ministry, are you?" Asked Genevieve.
"Of course not! I am not afraid of Albus Dumbledore. I just don't care if someone else kills him for me. It is only Potter who I want to kill personally. Besides, since it's impossible for me to get into Hogwarts right now, it would be easiest if someone who is already there, kills Dumbledore on my behalf" answered Tom.
"So, you don't care who gets hurt along the way, as long as Dumbledore ends up dead by June? And you don't get who's souls get ripped apart because of you?"
"What are you going on about?"
"Killing rips the soul, or have you forgotten that? I don't want this boy's soul to be ripped apart because of you. Not when he's only 16 years old".

"I was around his age when I killed Myrtle, my father, and my grandparents" reminded Tom.
"Yes, but not everyone is like you" replied Genevieve coldly.
"Why do I feel like that is not a compliment?" Frowned Tom.
"It is neither a compliment nor an insult. It's just a fact. No one on this earth is like you. And most 16 year olds, don't go around killing people. Murder is not on most teenagers minds"
"Draco Malfoy is a young Slytherin boy, just like I was. He is no saint. He's been tormenting Mudbloods and blood traitors all his life"
"That may be true. But there's a difference between being a bully and becoming a murderer. And I don't want this young boy to feel like he has to kill someone, in order to not be killed himself"
"That was just a threat, I don't actually intend on killing the boy or his mother, for they will both be useful to me in the future".

"It had better be a threat, because I will not let you murder this boy and his mother" informed Genevieve.
"Why do you care so much about them? Draco is not Salazar or Gellert. He is not our son. Protecting him won't bring our boys back" replied Tom.
"I know that. I failed our sons, but I won't fail again. I won't let another young boy's life be destroyed, because of you" announced Genevieve.
"That is not your choice to make. I am in charge here, not you. I am Lord Voldemort, and you are my wife".

"Really? You are going to pull rank with me?" Snapped Genevieve.
"Sometimes I feel like you overstep your boundaries. I am your husband, and you promised to obey and serve me forever" reminded Tom.
"And you promised to love and protect me. Yet over the years, I have seen you fail at both of those" replied Genevieve.
"I think you should stop now, before you say something you will regret later"
"Fine".

****
Instead of going to her room, Genevieve headed to Hogsmeade, to talk to the one person who could ensure Draco's soul remained pure.
She knew that what she was about to do,  betrayed Tom, but she was willing to do anything to protect Draco's soul.
She wasn't sure why she cared so much about a boy she had only seen a handful of time, but she had gone too far to stop now.
And after witnessing so many bad things that summer, Genevieve wanted to do something right for a change.

Aberforth reluctantly summoned his brother using a Patronus, for Genevieve and several minutes later Albus Dumbledore arrived.
"Hello Dumbledore" mumbled Genevieve, as the headmaster stepped inside the pub.
"We really need to stop meeting like this" said Dumbledore, as he made his way across the room, before sitting down in the chair opposite Genevieve.

The last time Genevieve had seen him, he had been powerful and terrifying. But now he looked old and feeble.
One of his hands was also black, and it looked almost dead.
"Are you unwell?" Questioned Genevieve.
Dumbledore looked down at his injured hand and sighed, "No. But I must admit that the duel with Tom weakened me".
"Well, you could have fooled me, because you looked so mighty and powerful the last time I saw you. I was actually scared of you. And at the end of the fight, you walked away without a scratch on you. Yet now you look at deaths door" replied Genevieve.
"I do not wish to discuss my health with someone who spends so much time with my enemy. But I'll have you know, that I have no intention of meeting Mr Death just yet".

Genevieve bit her lip awkwardly, "That's actually what I wanted to talk to you about".
"Go on" encouraged Dumbledore.
Instead of wasting time, Genevieve decided to just come out with it.
"My husband has instructed Draco Malfoy to kill you when he returns to school in September" revealed Genevieve.
"Has he now? I guess he doesn't know that you are here now, telling me this?" Questioned Dumbledore.
"No. I snuck out after we had an argument. But I can't be gone too long, or he will start to worry"
"Why exactly did you decide to come and tell me this? You have never informed me of Tom's plans before, so why start now?".

"Don't expect this to become a regular thing... I guess after everything we've been through, I just don't want you to die. You've always been there, and helped me more than anyone else in my life. So, I guess I don't want to lose you" admitted Genevieve.
"We all must die one day" said Dumbledore softly.
"I know, but I don't think your time has come just yet. Which is why I came to warn you to be careful around the Malfoy boy" replied Genevieve.
"Well, consider me warned. And thank you for telling me this"
"You're welcome. I'm only returning the favour, afterall you have helped me so many times in the past. And it only felt right to do the same for you".

"Is that the only reason you decided to help me?" Questioned Dumbledore.
"Well, I have turned a blind eye to a lot of bad things recently. And I wanted to do something that would help clear my conscience. Protecting the young Malfoy boy just seemed like the right thing to do... I have killed several people, Dumbledore, and I know what that does to a person. Committing a murder is something you never forget. It rips your soul and leaves you a different person than before. And I didn't want that to happen to Draco" answered Genevieve.
"So, you are trying to protect him just as much as you are trying to protect me" replied Dumbledore.
"I guess you could say that... Anyway, I really have to get going. Before I end up saying too much. Don't let this meeting make you forget which side of the war I am on. I will always choose my husband and put him first. So don't expect me to spy on him or feed you information from now on. I just came here tonight to give you a warning. And it will be a one off event. So, take care Dumbledore, and stay safe"
"You too Genevieve".