29. A Word Of Warning

With Dumbledore dead, Genevieve knew things were going to start to change.
Tom was preparing to take over the Ministry, and any day now he would succeed.
So, shortly after Dumbledore's funeral, Genevieve headed to Mathilde's house late one night, to try and convince her to flee the country.
"This is late for you, me and Hannah were about to go to bed" yawned Mathilde, as Genevieve entered the house.
"Well, with everything going on, I just can't afford to take any risks. And sometimes coming at night is the safest thing to do" admitted Genevieve.
"Alright then, you'd better come in and sit down" sighed Mathilde.

"I hope you're not planning to stay long. Some of us actually have jobs, and we both have work tomorrow morning" said Hannah coldly, as Genevieve sat down.
"Alright, I will try and keep what I have to say, brief" replied Genevieve.
"Don't listen to her. You can stay as long as you like" informed Mathilde, as she sat down beside Hannah.
"I don't want to keep you, I just need to offer you some advice, and then I will go" admitted Genevieve.
"What kind of advice?" Questioned Mathilde.
"I need you both to get out of the country".

Hannah frowned, "We can't just up and go, we have lives".
"Trust me, it would be better for everyone if you both left, sooner rather than later" revealed Genevieve.
"But we can't just leave our jobs and our home on a whim" countered Hannah.
"It's not a whim. You will both be in danger if you stay in Britain much longer. You need to get out of here, while you still can".
"Does this have anything to do with Dumbledore's death?" Asked Mathilde.
"Sort of. With him gone, there is no one to protect you from your father" answered Genevieve.

"I do not need protecting any more, for I am a fully grown adult. I'm nearly 30 years old, I can take care of myself. Dumbledore helped protect me all those years ago, but his work is done. He successfully hid me from my father, and nothing can undo what he did. So, you don't need to worry about me" reassured Mathilde.
"But with Dumbledore gone, the Fidelius Charm around you is no longer keeping you hidden" reminded Genevieve.
"That charm was only placed around my grandmother's house. And I haven't lived there for years, so the magic hasn't been protecting me. Which means that I don't need it to hide me anymore".

"Look, your father finding you isn't all that I'm worried about. In fact, him discovering you, is the least of your problems" admitted Genevieve.
"Why? What do you know?" Quizzed Mathilde.
"I can't say much. But all you need to know, is that things are going to start to change for the worse, very soon. Your father is nearly ready to take over the Ministry" revealed Genevieve.
"When?"
"I can't say anymore, I'm sorry. But you need to leave the country before that happens".
"Why can't you tell us more?" Hannah demanded.
"You know why. No one on my side can find out that you know what is going to happen before it does, because then they will think that there is a mole in the death eaters. Which would put me in danger" replied Genevieve.

"You've got to tell us more" pleaded Mathilde.
"I can't! I'm already risking so much by telling you this. But from what I've seen, the Ministry will likely have fallen by the end of the summer" revealed Genevieve.
"That soon?" Gasped Mathilde.
"I'm afraid so. With Dumbledore dead, there is no one left to oppose your father. So, he doesn't need to hold back and hide anymore"
"What about Harry Potter?"
"He is just a boy. I know the prophecy says that he has the power to defeat my husband, but I honesty don't know how. Lord Voldemort is just too powerful, which is why you need to leave, before he takes over, and shapes the wizarding world in his image".

"This is our home, we can't just turn and run like cowards. If there is a fight ahead of us, then so be it, we will stay and fight for what we believe in" announced Mathilde.
Genevieve groaned, "Why do you have to be so stubbon like me?".
"I guess you could say that it's in my DNA" replied Mathilde.
"I wish it wasn't. Look, staying here is dangerous, and I don't just mean for you" admitted Genevieve, as she looked over at Hannah.
"What's this got to do with me?" Asked Hannah.
"Yeah? Why is Hannah in more danger than me?" Added Mathilde.

"Use your head. She's a Mud... I mean, she's a Muggle-born. Those are the people who do not fit into Lord Voldemort's perfect world. Muggle-borns will be the first to go" warned Genevieve.
"He can't just take over and kill all the Muggle-borns" replied Mathilde.
"He doesn't intend on killing all of them, but he doesn't want them to be a part of his world. He sees them as no better than Muggles. Which is why he intends to kick them out of their jobs and take their wands. He has a lot of powerful pure-blood allies who will support him. He's already beginning to take over the Ministry, by placing people under the Imperius Curse, one by one. And it won't be long until he has enough people surrounding the Minister, to kill him".

"We have to do something. We have to stop him" insisted Hannah.
"It's too late. Nothing can stop him now" admitted Genevieve sadly.
"You can. You are probably the only person who can stand up to him, and walk away unharmed" replied Hannah.
"You overestimate my influence over him"
"I don't mean persuade him to change his mind, because I know that is never going to happen. I mean kill him, or at least help the Order of the Phoenix to destroy him"
"But I love him, and I can't live in a world where he doesn't exist. Besides, why would I help the Order, when they killed my sons? Anyway, Dumbledore was the only one who trusted me, and I don't expect the Order would believe a thing I said, without him to back me up. The Order would never trust me, because I am married to the enemy".

"So, you aren't going to do anything to help stop him?" Questioned Hannah.
"There's nothing I can do. I can protect the odd person here and there, but I can't stand against my husband" answered Genevieve.
Hannah stood to her feet, "Well then, I would like you to leave my house. If you have decided that you are going to stand by him no matter what, then I don't want to see you again. I don't want to make small talk with the wife of You-Know-Who, while he attacks my people. So, don't come back, unless you have decided to fight for our cause".
"With all due respect, I'm here to see my daughter, not you" reminded Genevieve.

"Well Jenny, are you going to stand by your partner who loves you, or your mother who abandoned you?" Asked Hannah, as she looked over at Mathilde.
"I didn't want to be put in this position" Mathilde mumbled.
"You've got no choice, for it's time to pick a side" replied Hannah.
"I love you, and I can't live without you. So, my place will always be at your side"
"Good. Then please show your mother out".
Hannah strode out of the room and headed upstairs, leaving Genevieve and Mathilde alone.

"So, you've chosen your girlfriend over me" Genevieve said quietly.
"I have chosen the good side, mother. And you should too" admitted Mathilde.
"I choose my husband, and I will always choose him" informed Genevieve.
"Then perhaps you should return to his bedside, for I'm sure he is missing you. You have chosen your  lover over me, and I have chosen my lover over you. Hannah is a Muggle-born, and I cannot be around someone who thinks that people like her are lesser than pure-bloods. I love you mother, but I can't continue to see you. So please don't come back and make a scene, unless you have decided to join our side".