20. The Traitor

Tom kept his promise and made sure that Genevieve was always up to date with what he was up to.
But after a while, Genevieve wished that she had never asked him to be so honest with her, for the things he was doing, made her sick to the stomach.
However, there was one piece of information that made Genevieve very happy.
"We've found him!" Announced Tom one afternoon.
"Found who?" Questioned Genevieve.
"Igor Karkaroff, the man who betrayed you and countless other death eaters. He's been hiding in a shack up North, but we've finally tracked the coward down. I've got a few death eaters holding him, so that he doesn't escape while I round up the rest of us" revealed Tom.

Genevieve jumped to her feet and gripped her wand tightly.
She could feel the excitement rise inside her, as she was finally going to get revenge on Karkaroff, after so many years.
"Let's go then. I have a few things I would like to say to that piece of filth" admitted Genevieve.
"You're not the only one. He placed Rookwood, and several others, in Azkaban. So there are a lot of people who want to get their revenge, including me. I once told you that he was going to wish that he was dead, by the time I finished with him. And I intend on keeping that promise" replied Tom.
Genevieve placed her hand onto Tom's arm, so that he could apparate her to where Karkaroff was being held.
"Take me there then, and let's punish this traitor" said Genevieve.
"Alright, let's go. I will summon the death eaters I require, once I get there" informed Tom.

"Can I request that Bellatrix doesn't come? Because I don't want her getting in the way. Karkaroff didn't put her in Azkaban, so she does not need to get revenge on him. This is our moment, so please don't spoil it by having that bitch there" begged Genevieve.
"Fine, I won't summon Bella, if that is what you want" sighed Tom.
Genevieve leaned forward and kissed Tom's cheek softly, "Thank you".
"You're welcome. Now, let's get going" instructed Tom.

Tom apparated the pair to a small abandoned hut up North, where Karkaroff had been hiding for so long.
Karkaroff was knelt and bound on the ground in front of them, with several death eaters pointing their wands at him.
His hands were tied behind his back, and he had a black eye.
He was also without a wand, as the death eaters had taken it, to stop him from going anywhere.

While Tom summoned the other death eaters he needed, Genevieve looked down at Karkaroff, getting a good look at him for the first time in years.
She had spent so many hours imagining the things she would do to him. But as she looked at the fear in his eyes, and the defeated look on his face, she remembered that she was not like her husband, for she did not enjoy causing pain.
The man who had betrayed her, was skin and bone, and he looked so broken that Genevieve no longer felt any excitement at hurting him.

The last time Tom had brought her to a tied up man at their mercy, Genevieve had been forced to kill him, and she didn't want history to repeat itself.
Like before, Genevieve had a good reason for wanting the person in front of her dead. But despite wanting revenge, she knew that torturing Karkaroff wouldn't make her feel any better.
Hurting her enemy wouldn't undo what he did, or erase the time she spent in Nurmengard.
She knew that revenge wouldn't satisfy her, but she was also well aware that every death eater in the room was expecting her to unleash her fury onto Karkaroff. She wasn't going to get away without hurting him, and she knew it.

Once all of the death eaters had arrived, they bowed at Tom, before turning their attention to Karkaroff.
Tom stepped out from the circle and stared down at Karkaroff, who couldn't look in his master's eyes.
"We meet at last Karkaroff, after so many years. Are you not pleased to see your old master?" Questioned Tom.
"I-I'm sorry, my lord" trembled Karkaroff.
Watching the man shake and sweat, made Genevieve pity him, and she wished Tom would kill him quickly to get his suffering over and done with. But she knew that wouldn't happen.

"What are you sorry for? Turning your back on me? Running when I called you a year ago? Or betraying your fellow death eaters by handing them over to the Ministry, to get yourself out of Azkaban?" Quizzed Tom.
"I didn't mean to" mumbled Karkaroff.
"Don't lie to the Dark Lord! I know everything you said at your trial, because I had a spy there on that day. So, I know that you tried to betray Travers, Dolohov, Snape and Mulciber, before finding out that the Ministry already knew about them. One person they didn't know was a death eater, was Augustus Rookwood. That was until you betrayed him, and told the Ministry about him" spat Tom.
"I'm sorry" sobbed Karkaroff.