56. Mercy

Genevieve frowned at Hermione Granger, not understanding what the girl was talking about.
"Explain" insisted Genevieve.
Hermione took a deep breath, and stepped closer to Genevieve.
"While researching ways to destroy Horcruxes, I came across a way that someone can put their soul back together" revealed Hermione.
"That's impossible" countered Genevieve.
"No, it's not impossible, it's just very difficult to do, and most people would never even attempt it"
"Well go on, how do I take the piece of my soul out of the bracelet, and place it back inside my body?".

"I'm not sure exactly, the book I read didn't leave any instructions on how to do it. The book just said that you have to feel remorse for what you've done. You have to feel truly sorry for making a Horcrux, and killing the person who caused you to split your soul" informed Hermione.
"That's it? I just have to be sorry for killing the person I used in the Horcrux making process? It can't be as easy as that" replied Genevieve.
"Being truely sorry, is never easy. And the book says that putting your soul back together is very painful. The process can even kill you. It depends on how many times you have split your soul" admitted Hermione.

"It shouldn't be too hard for you, since you only made one Horcrux" said Harry.
"It might be harder than you think" mumbled Genevieve.
"Why?" Questioned Harry.
"I may have only made one Horcrux. But I have killed several people throughout my life. And if I have to put my soul back together, by feeling sorry for killing all my victims, I'm not sure I can do it. Because Igor Karkaroff got what he deserved"
"How many people have you killed?"
"I haven't killed hundreds of people, I swear. But the first person I killed, I cannot feel sorry for killing. He had been stalking me for months, and when I confronted him, he tried to assault me. I didn't mean to kill him, but I don't regret it".

"Was his death the one you used to make the Horcrux?" Asked Hermione.
"No. I killed a man named Caradoc Dearborn, who was a member of the Order of the Phoenix. He was there the night my sons died, which is why my husband chose him as a sacrifice. I didn't want to kill the man, or make a Horcrux, but Vee said he would place me under the Imperius Curse and make me do it, if I refused to do it willing" answered Genevieve.
"Vee?" Frowned Harry.
"It's what I called him. He hated being called Tom, and I always found it weird refering to my husband as lord Voldemort. So, Vee was my nickname for him" explained Genevieve.

"Well, if Caradoc's death was the murder you used to make a Horcrux, then his is the one you need to truly feel remorse for to place this piece of your soul back inside you, I think" said Hermione.
"That shouldn't be too tricky, as I never wanted to kill him in the first place. He was unarmed, and tied up in my basement, so killing him just felt evil and wrong. But at the time, I didn't have a choice" sighed Genevieve.
"I can't believe you stayed with Voldemort for so long, when he treated you so badly" admitted Harry.
"It might be hard for you to believe, but he wasn't always quite so evil. And he loved me as much as I loved him" replied Genevieve.

"You're not supposed to hurt the people you love" said Harry.
"I wouldn't know. I grew up believing my father was my uncle. He distanced himself from me, and allowed me to be raised by his followers and servants. I never knew what love was, until I met Vee. Anyway, we are getting off topic, I need to try and heal my soul, that is why we are here" announced Genevieve.
Mathilde took hold of Genevieve's hands, "Mother, are you sure about this?".
"If I don't do this, I will never be whole again. And I will have to live forever, watching you grow older than me, which is something I will not do. I'm willing to try anything, if it will end my suffering" replied Genevieve.

Genevieve held her bracelet Horcrux in her hands, and sat down on the floor.
Some of Harry's army dispersed, leaving just Harry, Ron, Hermione, Mathilde and Hannah, to watch Genevieve attempt to heal her soul.
She closed her eyes, and allowed her mind to wander back to the night she had made her Horcrux.
She pictured the fear in Caradoc's eyes, and she remembered the terror she felt back then of making Tom angry.
Images flashed through her mind, as if she was watching a film on an old movie projector.
She watched herself kill Caradoc over and over again, until she began to feel a great pain in her chest.
After years of bottling up her emotions, and hiding how she really felt, Genevieve was finally able to work through the trauma in her past.