- 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚂𝚒𝚡

┏━━━━━━┓
THIRTY-SIX
┗━━━━━━┛

𓃬CHAPTER XXIA NEW BEGINNING

𓃬
CHAPTER XXI
A NEW BEGINNING

Since his birth, Cassius Lannister was fated to do many things. Some honourable, some not. Some great, some not. But there was one thing we could all agree with, and that was that he did all for the realm. His children would grow up to do the same, he would make sure of it. And his children did, they continued the Lannister-Targaryen dynasty, and made it even greater than Cassius had. But still, none of it could have been done if it was not for the Raging Lion, who was the beginning of many things good and bad.

Grandmaester Ferdinand, Chapter XXI of The Raging Lion, King of Kings.
𓃬

—————

A FORTNIGHT HAD PASSED SINCE CASSIUS HAD LEFT THE COMFORTABLE WALLS OF CASTERLY ROCK. He and his men had traded in the heated walls for the hills and the grass and the forests of the Westerlands.

       Now, the Westerlands had been traded in for the Crownlands. Blackwater Rush flanked him and his armada as he rode along the water, wetting the horse of his to his knees. From a distance, the red towers of the Red Keep filled his emerald eyes, penetrating his heart with a sense of home.

       Minerva had not been able to stop the wonder that filled her own eyes and words. Whenever she and Cassius were not in conversations, he found joy in listening to her quiet noises of admiration. She had never been further than Lannisport, and even in the bustling city she always had a handful of guards to protect her.

       Now she was free to travel the Westerlands with her father in her company, and she would get to see one of the jewels of Westeros — King's Landing — the largest city in the Seven Kingdoms. In a matter of weeks, she had travelled two of the seven kingdoms in Westeros, and as a lady of the Rock, those numbers would increase much more.

       Cassius wouldn't call King's Landing a jewel like many others did. The city was bustling with sickness and hunger, rats and streets filled with shit. One could not turn their back without running into someone else. Simply said, the city was too small, and filled with too many people. It was a broodmare for all things wrong, and would continue to be until something would be done.

But he was no king, and he had no say about the faith of the city half a million people called home. Joffrey did, and Joffrey cared as little for his people as he did for the flies that flew around dead corpses.

The dense and thick forest around the walls of King's Landing, filled with sentinel trees producing a sweet piney smell that filled Cassius's nose. He welcomed the scent warmly, knowing that as soon as the gates opened, the sweetness would be replaced with a mix of sour and salty, that would force him to try and breathe as little as possible.