- 𝙾𝚗𝚎

┏━━┓
ONE
┗━━┛

𓃬CHAPTER ITHE BASTARD OF CASTERLY ROCK

𓃬
CHAPTER I
THE BASTARD OF CASTERLY ROCK

Many bastards were born, hundreds of them every single day, in every single corner of the known world. In time, most bastards would be forgotten by the world. Some would change the world in a way no one has ever before. They would make history that would be repeated by those who come after them for thousands of years to come. Cassius Lannister - The Bastard of Casterly Rock - was destined to be one of them.

Grandmaester Ferdinand, Chapter I of The Raging Lion, King of Kings.
𓃬

—————

       CASSIUS'S NECK ACHED UNCOMFORTABLY, THE LONG RIDE CATCHING UP TO HIM. He adjusted himself in the saddle of his horse, sighing in content as he rolled his neck on his shoulders. His Goshawk Sīmontan was perched onto the neck of his horse, his red eyes looking around curiously, taking in the sights of the North.

       The word Sīmontan translated to 'rose' in Valyrian. Cassius had always felt some sort of connection, learning it as best as he could when he had the time. Over the years he had gotten fluent, one of the things he was most proud of.

       He had named the hawk Sīmontan because of where it was born. Highgarden, home of the Tyrells, who bore a rose as their sigil.

Despite the bird originally coming from the North, it had never been that faraway until now. It had been bred by Willas Tyrell. The bird was his finest Goshawk. Willas bred it specifically for Cassius to keep after he would leave Highgarden to go back to Casterly Rock. Cassius trained with the bird day and night, turning it into a proper hawking bird. Additionally he also taught the hawk how to attack humans on command, tearing open their throats with his sharp claws. When Cassius had nothing to do, he took the time to teach Sīmontan simple tricks, or commands you wouldn't see a bird do. The bird didn't mind, seeming eager to learn more tricks.

He rode to join his brother, Jaime clad in the traditional Kings Guard armour, the gold contrasting with his emerald eyes.

       "Can you believe the old boar made us ride this far to ask a man to be his Hand when Stark would never agree anyway?" He complained to his brother, who let a small chuckle slip from his lips.

       "We are not supposed to question the king's will." His smooth voice mumbled to his younger brother, who snorted.

       "If a man like that can be a king then I am a god." Cassius mumbled, letting his finger stroke over the small beak of Sīmontan, who pushed his beak further into his finger.

       "Who knows brother, maybe you are."

       Cassius turned his head towards his brother, his own bright green eyes piercing into the ruby ones. "If I was then I would not be here, riding with this fat man. I shouldn't even have accepted the invite."