Chapter 4: Brainwashing

The Gym Challenge of 2078 would open in Hulbury. Heather and Hessie sat opposite Ralph and Teddy on the train. For now, acquaintances were convenient for Heather. If she was really a clueless new Trainer from Neon City, she would want to be surrounded by locals. She also hoped to learn more. If these 'Lost Kids' went for her fellow challengers, she would get a chance to observe them.

'I'm kind of worried, honestly... if someone takes my Scorbunny...'

'Yeah...'

Teddy stared at the stained table. He held Sobble close. As the lights of Wedgehurst disappeared, the view from the window was endless black.

'I've heard about Pokémon deciding to leave...'

'Really? That's not a thing in Elemar. People send their Pokémon to do their shopping and everything. They always come back.'

'It wasn't always a thing here... I mean, it's not like anyone talked about it back in Leon's day... that's what my mum says...'

'Hessie, what happened?' Ralph asked, 'If you don't mind me asking...? I mean, how'd it happen? Will we see them coming? Were they wearing, like, a uniform or anything? Like Team Yell?'

'The guy who came for me was wearing all black... and his weird Pokémon just attacked Ponyta... then he threw an Ultra Ball and caught her... but like I said, I didn't see the other guy...'

'He threw an Ultra Ball...? Whoa... how's that even possible?'

Heather knew exactly how that was possible. The attacker used a Snag Machine, just like the one she would use if she saw a black aura.

So this Jahzeel really did use Cipher, eh? Bet he didn't make that Snag Machine.

'Are you scared, Garnet? You're so far from home...'

'Well, yeah... and you're saying I don't just have to worry about having my Pokémon stolen – they'll just take off?!'

Pretty sure they aren't just taking off. Most people aren't seeing these 'Lost Kids.' They're too quick. And no-one in Galar's expecting a Snag Machine.

'It happened to some people in our class,' Teddy replied, 'Their families woke up and their Pokémon were gone... we made "missing" posters for them, but they never came back...'

'But why would Pokémon just leave?'

'People are arguing about whether it's right to keep them in Poké Balls... our teacher released her Steenee, but she decided to stay anyway, so... I thought it'd be OK to get a Pokémon from Professor Magnolia... but... maybe it's not...'

'I don't know, man. The Pokémon look happy. I'm not convinced they're leaving because they want to. Why's it only happening in Galar?'

'At school, we had to read this book... Pokémon Farm... where all the Pokémon got together to rebel against the Breeder... what if... what if it's like that...? And it's happening in Galar 'cause they're all getting together to do it here?'

Heather blinked. She had no idea what that book was about. Her mother was so terrified of her own mother that Heather was raised in secret and never got the chance to go to school.

'I don't know that book.'

Ralph snorted. 'Mate, you're getting carried away. That book's not really about Pokémon. It's a, um, a what-do-you-call-it... a... a metaphor! It's a metaphor for stuff that happened in another region. It's not about Poké Balls or whatever. I think these "Lost Kids" watched the Black & White film one too many times.'

Hessie held Grookey as closely as Teddy held Sobble, who had to be comfortable, because it was yet to burst into tears again.

'It does sound like Team Plasma, doesn't it...?'