Chapter 98: The Chosen Side

Reshiram leapt from Crobat's path. It crashed into the floor instead. Heather switched Reshiram out for Glaceon. Her oldest Pokémon had to do this. If anyone could get that Crobat back, it would be its Trainer and teammates.

'Glaceon, Ice Beam! Dodge!'

At least Shadow End was such a frenzied attack that it was inaccurate. Crobat was so fast it was barely visible as a Shadow Pokémon, but its teammates were used to playing and racing with it. Glaceon rolled out of the way just in time. Ice Beam knocked it down.

It could never be said that Pluto's little Zorua was anything but brave. It distracted Crobat with an illusion of the Shadow Pokémon production line while Glaceon fired another Ice Beam. Zorua was finally knocked out in one hit by Shadow End, but not before its Bitter Malice left Crobat with painful frostbite.

Jamie wanted to fly off to get more Ultra Balls for Heather. He doubted he would ever return. The suffocating shadows around the tower were so thick that they would probably weaken even his beloved Swoobat within seconds of taking off. He had no idea how far they stretched. Horace emptied his stash of Ultra Balls into Neptune's backpack. He threw it to Heather. Crobat darted to catch it, but it missed. Neptune's aim was still perfect.

Heather hurled the first Ultra Ball. It instantly shattered. Crobat flew at Glaceon too fast for it to dodge. One of its legs snapped. Heather threw another Ultra Ball. As Triton experienced with Calyrex, it was smashed before it even hit the floor. Crobat still had time to attack. Glaceon couldn't crawl out of the way. This time, its ribs were smashed.

'Crobat! Stop it! Don't you recognise Glaceon?!'

'Oh, yes, he does!' Hera yelled, 'He knows none of you came looking for him! Don't assume that he and I had nothing to bond over! No-one ever helped me!'

'If you're Pluto's sister – no-one even knew you existed! I'm really sorry, because growing up with Jahzeel must've been awful, but girl! You can't blame the world for not knowing you were even there!'

'And that's not true!' Pluto insisted, 'I tried to help you and you just bullied me and pushed me away! Caroline tried to help you! Grandfather did everything in his power to help you!'

'Hahahaha! Everything in his power? Like what?!'

'Like taking a million and one of Jahzeel's beatings in your place! Like risking his life almost killing Tance and his vile mates for both of us! Mother took beatings for you! Father did!'

'It's alright for you! Everyone worshipped their precious king while I was locked in a fucking dungeon every time I spoke up!'

'You weren't the only one locked in the dungeon! Mother, Father, Grandfather and I ended up bloodied and bruised in there for standing up for you! Yet you hardly made us want to when you tried to stab me! Or when you tortured that Ponyta in front of Father!'

'Grandfather is the reason I'm like this! Where do you think I got this outfit from?!'

'He may have made you obsessed with Arceus, but it is no excuse for being a cold-hearted killer! He Holy Book-bashed me, too – and for everyone else's reference, I have one of those outfits – but I'm not like this!'

'Crobat! Shadow End! Kill that Glaceon and then kill her!'

Glaceon certainly couldn't move now. Crobat battered its legs until every one was broken. It refused to succumb to fainting. It breathed frigid air at Crobat until it was frozen solid. Heather threw an Ultra Ball before Hera could spray Full Restore. It rolled and fell still. Then it smashed.

'Heather... that is your name, isn't it?'

Heather had to admit she was impressed that at 67, Volo wasn't even slightly frightened of standing in the path of a Shadow Pokémon; or any Pokémon, for that matter. He held out a Friend Ball.