Chapter 19: Set Up

The rumble of the crowd shook the old, scratched doors at Turffield Stadium. Until Heather sat there in the locker room, she couldn't imagine thousands of people caring about battles between rookies and a Gym Leader's weakest Pokémon. Now she was directed to a VIP box to watch the day's first challenger, that purple-haired boy named Bard, stepping out onto the pitch, she understood. The excitement about a moment that seemed insignificant from a distance, but was huge to each and every challenger, was contagious. It spread through the stadium like wildfire. With Ralph and Teddy chattering beside her, even Heather found herself with a genuine smile.

'Please welcome the high-flying girl, Vega!'

'Yeeeaaaaah!' Teddy cheered, 'Go, Vega!'

Some fans were disappointed that Yarden lost the Gym to Vega, but as she strolled out and waved, the applause was so enthusiastic that it was impossible to tell.

'Hello, Challenger Bard! I hope you enjoyed my Gym mission!'

Bard was actually scowling, because his hair stuck out at all angles after being blasted about by the propellers in Vega's Gym mission.

'I'm not about to deal with that again... get ready to lose!'

'I like your attitude! Let's go!'

Perry would have cheered for Vega, because she sent out Dartrix. Bard sent out Pawniard. He was the other challenger with purple hair who potentially used the Shadow Steelix, but he seemed normal. Pawniard certainly wasn't a Shadow Pokémon. It seemed to like its Trainer enough, even though they both got frustrated when Dartrix used Double Team until none of their attacks hit. Pawniard eventually knocked itself out in confusion. Bard sent out the Thwackey he received from Sonia as a Grookey. Sonia cheered in a seat above.

'Go on, Thwackey!'

Khalid sat beside her. Fans were convinced he was thoughtfully evaluating whether Bard would make it to the Champion Cup, but his mind was actually elsewhere. Last night, after watching an exhibition match against Ace, Poppy – who was still offended by Khalid's question about Akari – called him a 'Pokémon abuser.' He told her they were incompatible. They would only get hurt by trying to force it to work.

'Fuck you! You're just a shitty, waste-of-space chav!'

'...I'm a chav?'

'Whatever it is you call knock-off Leons in your knock-off tracksuits!'

'What?!'

'Fuck you! I'm leaving! And this time, I'm never coming back! You'll regret it one day! Fuck you!'

'Fuck off, then!'

As she stormed off, Khalid's voice echoed in the corridor until there was absolute silence. By then, he panicked. She was distraught. She didn't even have one Pokémon to protect her, because she left Jigglypuff. There were weirdos out there. The press were probably waiting for her. He grabbed Jigglypuff's Love Ball and ran down the stairs. The security guard said she left, but the only person on the street was a lone reporter, who actually appeared to be waiting for a football player who lived there, not Khalid. He checked Rotogram and Chirper. No-one claimed they had seen her. Was that worrying in itself, or was he panicking for nothing? It was probably the latter. She would return for Jigglypuff the next morning.