Chapter 50: A Bitter Taste

Heather knew something terrible had happened when she arrived in Hammerlocke to find flags flying at half-mast. Even after the sun rose and artificial light was no longer needed, the ancient stadium that loomed over the city was brightly illuminated in blue and yellow. Commuters hurried by in solemn silence.

Usually, Galar's flags were only flown at half-mast in the aftermaths of great tragedies, or when a highly respected Trainer or Pokémon Professor died. They were last lowered for Raihan's death a year ago. Hammerlocke was covered in bright orange – his favourite colour – for weeks, but the entirety of Galar was lit up in blue and yellow that morning.

Someone who loves Inteleon? Not Fayiz...?

The headlines outside every newsagent and corner shop quickly answered Heather's question. Victor was murdered in the Slumbering Weald. So were his regular Pokémon.

That Garchomp that took off from Hazel's tent went south... and from its speed I'm pretty sure it was going as far as Postwick. But is Hazel seriously a murderer?! Maybe I'm not giving her enough credit. She was in the mine – and pretended not to be – when Ralph was killed...

Heather hurried to the hotel where the International Police stayed. She was yet to learn that Volo stole Dialga, only to give it back when he got drunk, but she recognised the tail sticking out of a high window as it did at home.

The fuck?

She ran straight to the conference room. She was sure they would be there and she was right. Triton let her in. Elio, Gloria, Hop, and Victor's wife, Peonia, huddled together at one end of the long table. Peonia couldn't even bring herself to look up. She only sobbed into her clenched fists. Gloria and Hop were actually unhurt, but Gloria still looked shell-shocked. Hop stared blankly at the table. His empty eyes reflected how dead he felt inside.

Reira told Heather all they knew. There were two new facts that the public was yet to learn: that Victor was left with an Arceus mark and Elio not only saw a woman with blue pigtails, but was convinced he passed someone else on the way to the heart of the woods.

'They were breathing heavily... I think they were scared.'

'But the killer,' Gloria quietly said, 'They definitely weren't scared. Not even a bit.'

Heather grimaced. 'So... the extra was probably an accomplice.'

'Backup, I suspect,' Reira replied, 'There were probably more of them.'

'Kinda surprised this Zubatshit killer even needs backup... they seem pretty self-sufficient.'

Heather told them what happened in the Wild Area: that she felt the presence of a Shadow Pokémon and looked up to see a Garchomp. Working out where it took off from led her to Hazel's tent. Hazel herself was nowhere to be found, but a blatant Team Plasma Grunt stumbled out, apparently disturbed to see anyone else there. Heather hurriedly sketched the uniform to show it to them. Sam digitised it and coloured it in.

'This is valuable, at least... it's the first time a reliable witness has described the uniform.'

'Yeah, but it's not like we really need to know what it looks like, is it? The giant "P" is a giveaway, even if you're somehow not surprised to see people cosplaying knights in the middle of nowhere.'

What Heather didn't share was that she not only met the 'king' of Team Plasma, but would meet him again in Stow-on-Side. Was it fair to tell them about his Wyrdeer? Did it matter? Probably not. They already knew he used Hisuian Pokémon.

'Didn't any cameras catch the Dialga exchange?'

Sam shook his head. 'No. Volo released it out of sight of the hotel's CCTV. We only have footage of Dialga approaching the hotel. I hoped we might spot him in an off-licence, since the wine stain is rather fresh, but if he did enter one, he was well-disguised.'