Chapter 35: No Choice

Arriving at Amber's childhood home in Wyndon, Neptune and his friends felt thoroughly defeated. They talked to hundreds of Pokémon. They met hundreds of people. The only potential mention of Rigel came from Bede via Tansy, but they spent days searching Glimwood Tangle and found nothing; unless it told them something that an illness wiped out many elder Pokémon about four years ago.

The yellow house, on its tree-lined street with a red phone box and monorail station, was once enchanting to Neptune and Johona. Neptune hardly spoke to his dad back then. He resented being bullied and considered a freak for being N's son. Now, even that sleepy street seemed hostile and if he couldn't find Rigel, all he wanted was to return to his parents in Unova.

Amber's parents weren't even there to give everyone their usual warm welcome. Every surface was dusty. The drawings and photos covering every wall and cupboard door began to fall off. The blue car on the drive belonged to Trip's grandpa, the legendary actor Alfie Addison, but it wouldn't be driven by him again, because he died two years ago. The emptiness was suffocating even for Amber. It coldly reminded her that her parents were old: Abbey 85 and Leon 84.

I can't think about that...

She still found her feet carrying her upstairs and into the master bedroom, where she sat in the basket once occupied by Leon's Charizard and Abbey's Cinderace. She used to sit between them as a child. It was fainter than she expected, but she could still detect that slightly singed smell that made her feel like her parents – and their Pokémon who helped raise her – were close. It didn't comfort her for long. Even that room was too quiet, too empty, with all their clutter sold, stowed away, or thousands of miles away in Orre.

Amber said nothing, but Trip understood. By the time she trudged back down the stairs, he had already filled the aroma diffuser, put one of Abbey's favourite albums in the stereo and prepared comforting green tea. It tasted slightly stale. Amber glanced at the box to see that it expired nine years ago. It was purchased in Johto, probably because Trip liked it, the last time Leon competed in the World Championships. Amber could still see her father's resigned smile when he was defeated by the woman who filled Abbey's vacant role at the Battle Tower. He told his family that he was content. He had achieved everything he ever wanted to achieve. That brought Fayiz to tears. Amber understood now.

I'm so sick and tired of the Cipher cycle in Orre... but there really is nothing left for me here... and Team Plasma, of all people, are here anyway! I've only been through the Plasma experience once, but I'm bloody sick of them, too!

Johona stared blankly at the TV. Ralph was on the news again, but she wasn't actually taking anything in. Her thoughts were occupied by her first child and grandson, who were potentially – if not definitely – used by a man from 300 years ago. What did Volo want with Nick? What was the point? Now he had incriminated himself with his ridiculous attempt at feigning escape, he would never see his son again, or at least not outside of a prison visit. Horace's adventure was on hold. He went with Galatea to the house that Amber and Trip shared with Jamie, Raidne and Delphina. No villain would ever get past Jamie, let alone Jamie and Horace. Johona wanted to say that Volo messed with the wrong woman, but really, the damage was already done. A child already had him for a father. Galatea was already scarred by the knowledge that she fell for a time-travelling conman. Neither of those things would never change.

'But... I really believed he loved me...'

'Maybe he did,' Johona hopefully suggested when they spoke the previous night, 'Just 'cause he's a dick with ulterior motives, it doesn't mean he didn't love you. Who wouldn't love you?'

'Your optimism's gonna get you killed one day, Mom... of course he didn't love me. He's in Team Plasma. He was sent to spy and knock me up...'

'Well... yeah. But it doesn't mean he didn't fall in love with you.'