Chapter 106: Hope

The ground floor of the Purify Chamber was operational. Perry paid the P10,000 fee to access his PC Storage System abroad so he could fill the chamber with the appropriate Pokémon to create 10 perfectly flowing sets.

Seth brought his Celebi. It tried to purify Calyrex and Spectrier, who were so destructive that no-one could snatch the Reins of Unity from them to get them into the Purify Chamber separately, but it was knocked out before it could. Grim Neigh began. The Purify Chamber was the only option. Perry tried to pry the Reins of Unity from Calyrex's grip. He took a hoof to the jaw. Decidueye tried. It was knocked out. Grim Neigh continued. Calyrex didn't attack Gloria, but she wasn't strong enough to snatch the reins away.

Allister's Cursola managed to knock Calyrex out. Perry tried to yank the reins from its limp hands then. Hop tried. They called Jamie. Calyrex stirred while he flew there. Cursola knocked it out again. Even Jamie had no luck. Raidne suggested asking Py. She did ask if he was a 'Unovan Bodybuilder,' after all. Lacey escorted him there. Calyrex sprang back up. Jamie's Zoroark wrestled it to the floor and knocked it out with Night Daze. Py and Lacey tried. The reins didn't budge. It was hopeless. If only Celebi could purify Pokémon while they were unconscious, but they couldn't be reminded of happiness when they couldn't think.

'It's no good...'

Hop sighed. 'Sorry, Gloria, but we're gonna have to destroy the reins...'

'It's OK... I understand...'

'Stand back and watch how the best Pokémon ever does it!'

Perry grinned as he commanded Decidueye to fire an arrow quill. It struck the reins and remained stuck there, but did nothing to break them. Perry's smile faltered. Decidueye fired another quill. Both fell off. The reins were intact.

Py's Drapion and Prita's Armaldo slashed at them. Yamper bit them. Jamie's Flareon set them on fire. Nathan's Buzzwole held them taut while Seth's Heracross feebly tried to snap them. They were indestructible.

'Uh, I'm not a professor or anything,' Py ventured, 'But what about that Pokémon with the big sword?'

'...Zacian?'

Hop hoped he would be able to say goodbye to Zacian, but his days as its hero were over. He didn't want to think about it. It was yet another thing to remind him of his age and mortality.

'Yeah... we could try Zacian... I wouldn't know who to ring, though...'

Lacey called Arielle, who told Muirne that Zacian was needed. It wasn't in a Poké Ball. Nor was Zamazenta. Heather had to catch it before she escorted Muirne there. As soon as Zacian was released, it dropped its sword and bounded towards Hop. Heather was about to smash its Ultra Ball.

'Heather... don't. Zacian belongs with Muirne now...'

Muirne shook her head. 'No... Ion... Rigel... told me that Zacian wants to protect the Purify Chamber. They were glad to protect the lab in Orre. That's where we're going, so... I'll see you again, Zacian...'

'Zacian!'

Calyrex leapt up again. Zacian seized its sword. It sliced straight through the Reins of Unity as if they were thin paper. Calyrex fell off Spectrier's back.

'Now! Now!'

Decidueye pinned Spectrier to the floor by its mane with an arrow quill. Ursaring wrestled Calyrex into the Purify Chamber's first set and slammed the door. Zoroark dragged Spectrier in. Everyone sighed relief.

'Yesss!'

Hop's face briefly lit up at the sight he saw on the screen.

'I knew it! Tance's Cipher could only produce the old XD-series Shadow Pokémon!'