Chapter 10: The Strange Pokémon

It was past midday in Orre when Perry's Raichu kicked him in the head to wake him. He lunged for the alarm clock that was on his bedside table in the apartment he shared with Tansy in the underground metropolis Obsidian City, but he was at the Pokémon HQ Lab. The Hoothoot-shaped alarm clock was the other side. He rolled off the bed instead.

'Hey! I was about to get up!'

Raichu shook its head. He was not 'about to get up.' The alarm had long been switched off entirely. Since Perry spent more time there than he did in Obsidian City, he covered those walls in his favourite photos and posters. The shelves were full of model trains. Usually, there was a pile of plush planets on the bed, but he kicked them off while attacking the alarm clock.

His daughter's cot was vacant. Someone had already taken her and her two Pokémon – Rowlet and Scorbunny – to play in the lounge area, where Perry finally caught up to his best friend and study partner, Granite.

'Bonjour, loser! Not you, Nashira. Ohayogozaimasu to you.'

Granite ignored the insult. 'Hey, we might be getting somewhere with those weird Pokémon.'

'Whaaaat?'

Perry didn't mind working it out with Granite, but he didn't want anyone to get there without him. He was already annoyed that he had to admit to everyone – including Heather, when she asked him for help, for once – that he had no idea what those Pokémon were, or where they could have come from. Tansy even got the chance to tease him about it.

She was busy proving herself as a Frontier Brain at Orre's brand new Battle Frontier. The only person to make it through her booby-trapped Battle Manor was the Orre League Champion, who was a Frontier Brain herself, but her Pokémon were exhausted by then and she lost to Tansy. Perry couldn't fall behind her and Granite.

'It's afternoon, by the way.'

'Whatever...'

There was an unattended coffee, in a 'world's best daddy' mug, on the table. An old but perfectly clean laptop was closed beside it.