Chapter 32: A Forbidden Tale

'Garnet...?'

Ralph's weary father peered out of the room where his son's body laid on a table.

'What are you doing here...?'

'Garnet passed through Galar Mine No. 2 shortly before Ralph was killed,' Reira swiftly replied, 'We wondered if she had seen anything, but unfortunately not. Don't worry – we have proof that she was gone before the attack happened. It wasn't her.'

'Oh... I'd never think it was...'

Heather had never seen his youthful face without its warm smile, always looking like he was about to tell a dad joke. Now she saw him looking 20 years older, like his soul was snapped so brutally it would never recover, she couldn't help it. Her face crumpled.

'I'm so sorry... I wish... I wish I could've...'

'It's not your fault... it's not anyone's fault... except Team Plasma...'

'Team Plasma...?'

Heather's question was genuine. She was surprised to hear him say that.

'Well, even if it was this Volo... he works for Team Plasma, doesn't he...?'

'I don't know...'

At that moment, Heather didn't know. She didn't know anything anymore.

'Garnet... whatever you do... don't let them convince you that people and Pokémon are better off without each other. That's what they want. But people and Pokémon survive together... so get stronger... and protect each other... and don't forget to ring your loved ones... tell them you love them...'

'I won't... forget, I mean... and I will get stronger...'

I thought I was strong enough already, but is anyone?

'Good luck... please be careful...'

Reira waited until the door clicked shut to speak again.

'We'll need everyone involved in the case to step up their efforts to investigate Team Plasma and, most importantly, catch Volo. Please drop your disguise if necessary. But... are you OK, Heather? Do you want to continue?'

'I have to carry on... I have to catch whoever killed Ralph... before they hurt someone else...'

And I do need to get stronger... even stronger... I need what I could never have, growing up... experience of the real world...

'So you aren't convinced it was Volo.'

'I don't want to make any assumptions yet... put it that way. I'll go to Motostoke... and look for someone who might... know something... about the... things... that came from Hisui...'

'Then I wish you the best of luck.'

'See ya...'

Pluto had to know something. His Hisuian Pokémon obviously came with Volo. It wasn't a coincidence that a person and multiple Pokémon from Hisui all appeared in Galar at the same time. Volo brought them for a reason. Of course, it was possible that Pluto simply found them somewhere and befriended them, but they had to know something... and if they did, Pluto did, because he could clearly communicate with them.

Heather flew back to Motostoke. The first time she checked in to the Budew Drop Inn, the atmosphere was jovial as eyes were glued to Laverne's battle, but now the lobby was silent. The only people there were the receptionist, four security guards and a policeman.

'Room 257. Please ensure you lock your door with the latch.'

There was a security guard with a snarling Perrserker in the lift. Another patrolled the corridor. Before Heather shut the curtains, she saw a Galar League shuttle bus stop at the doors. It carried the challengers who wanted to continue from Hulbury. It was no surprise that Teddy wasn't there. Heather was surprised to see Hessie, though she didn't look like she was in any fit state to carry on. She was still crying. She stared at the floor and her strides were stiff.