Chapter 110: The Letter

With Arlene's Shadow Pokémon confiscated, she was about to be released from International Police custody. For almost a month, she protested. Even after speaking to Pluto, who told her the truth about Jahzeel and insisted that Team Plasma was no more, she shouted that he was brainwashed. He was the king and she was his queen. Their new world had to materialise for their child if nothing else.

The longer she sat in the cell at Hammerlocke Prison, the emptier those words became. What else would she say? What else would she do? Where would she go? From the moment she arrived in Galar as a newborn baby, she was drilled to believe that marrying Pluto – and eventually producing a Luvaro-Harmonia heir – was her only purpose in life. Her father was Tance Day. Her mother was a victim of Tance Day. Her foster father, the only parental figure she knew, was the very man who locked her in the castle and beat her personality out of her until her only interest was becoming the Queen of Team Plasma.

So, eventually, Arlene deflated. She had no more to say about Team Plasma or kings and queens. She had nothing to say at all. Keeping her in custody wouldn't help her. Reira didn't believe she would re-offend. She hoped that troubled young woman might find herself out in the real world she once dreamed of being part of.

'We could book you a hotel room,' Reira offered, 'Or, if you'd like to meet your biological mother, she's come to Galar just in case. It's up to you.'

'...My mum came to Galar to see me...?'

That was the first time she spoke since she stopped insisting she was the Queen of Team Plasma.

'Even though... Tance...?'

'Well... would you like to know the results of the DNA test?'

Arlene had nowhere else to go. The castle was ruined. The Lost Kids' base camps were all surrounded by police tape in case loyal members of Team Plasma tried to hide there. The other Lost Kids were with Pluto and Heather. They planned to go to Orre, to take part in something to do with a ranch – Arlene didn't really care what – with them. She wasn't ready to face those two together yet.

'I know my dad is Tance... but... I suppose... if my mum actually wants me... I'd like to know...'

'Your father actually isn't Tance.'

'That's... not true... you're lying to me...'

'Why not hack us to run the test for yourself?'

'You'll arrest me again...'

'Then I could run the test in front of you. How about that?'

'OK, then...'

'Your father isn't perfect, but he's a very good man. And he would love to meet you as much as your mother would.'

'What? But how...? Why did Jahzeel think my dad was Tance?'

'Unfortunately, your parents were abused at the Selenite Resort. They didn't know who the father was, but you weren't sent away because they believed you were Tance's daughter. Jamie tried to get every child out of Cipher, including the children he knew to be his own. You know who Perry Oak is – the boy your Skarmory stabbed. He has a very complicated relationship with Jamie, but he understands deep down that he was sent away for his own safety, despite how much it destroyed his parents.'