Chapter 60: Amends

Enn's Banette was already on the conveyor belt to join the Shadow Pokémon production line. It insisted it had to do it. Deep down, Enn knew it had to, too. If they accepted Zalman's offer of showing another Shadow Banette to Caroline, he would know they weren't fully committed to Team Plasma. Besides, they weren't native to Galar. Where would they even find one? Zalman snatched the Poké Ball.

'Oops. Better leave it. For now.'

There was a flash of a distant smirk. He still didn't believe Enn.

'Back to the office it is, then.'

Enn began to err on the side of distrust. Zalman stared at his phone all the way from the office to the factory and back again. He was recording or reporting back to someone. Once the office door was shut, he placed the phone on the desk and played what he recorded. It was the announcement.

'I reckon His Majesty ought to hear this. Don't you?'

'I don't know if I even give a shit...'

'But you "want to serve Team Plasma," don't you? He's your king. You should give a shit. Don't you think he deserves to know what's being hidden from him?'

'You tell him, then. I wouldn't even know how to contact him.'

'Well, he'll be dropping in, won't he? Or Absolute Helmet Alnwick wouldn't have had us hide it all. I will tell him.'

'Good for you.'

'I reckon it will be.'

***

The scent of a traditional Galarian roast dinner wafted from the windows of a quaint cottage that backed on to Glimwood Tangle. Ballet scores played on a stereo inside. Light poured from the patio doors onto the winding garden paths, lit equally vibrantly by the mushrooms that seemed more controlled there than anywhere else in Ballonlea or its famous woods. Bede and his Pokémon took great pride in their enchanting garden.

Nashira loved it. She especially loved wandering around the garden on the back of Bede's Rapidash. Even Tansy and her Pokémon lost track of time as they sat out there, enjoying the magical atmosphere. Perry didn't tell her he agreed when she said it was like living in a fairytale, but she knew he did. She could almost forget she wasn't actually on holiday... but she expected Heather to arrive before Perry returned.

Heather actually texted her hours ago. It was only sent when she and Pluto emerged from Glimwood Tangle into the magically vibrant streets of Ballonlea. It was hard to imagine there could be a signal there, but there was. Tansy was relieved to receive the text.

Tansy would have to ask Bede. The answer was quite possibly no. He was already sighing about Perry telling Jamie he could drop in without asking Bede first.