Chapter 88: The Friends

Sam was the first International Police officer to creep in to Team Plasma's hideout via the entrance in the heart of Glimwood Tangle. He didn't actually need the coordinates. The wild Pokémon guided him there.

It was pitch black on the staircase. There were torches, but since every Grunt was in the castle now, the flames dwindled hours ago. Shining a flashlight was too risky. Sam beckoned a local officer with a Luxray that could see clearly even in the darkness. She led the way. The steps were steep. Even Sam stumbled on the last step. He felt the air around him. There were no more walls. They must have reached the cavern that held the castle, but it was still in absolute darkness. Sam knelt to speak to Luxray.

'What can you see, Luxray?'

'Nothing... there's nothing here...'

'OK... no people? No-one hiding behind a rock or wall? How about cameras?'

Luxray's sharp eyes scanned the cavern. It saw nothing but debris. The local officer's Arcanine grimaced as it sniffed at the air. There was a faint scent of sewage.

The approaching footsteps were barely audible, but Sam heard them. It was only Mirabelle. Sam frowned.

'Are we sure this is the right place...?'

'Yes. These are the exact coordinates we were given... the castle should be right in front of us...'

The local officer switched on her powerful torch. Its light bounced off the walls and ceiling to flood the cavern. Luxray was right. There was no castle. Mirabelle strode forward to examine the debris scattered across the floor. She identified marble tiles, a broken candelabra, a pair of curtains and pipes. Sam frowned at a series of distinctly straight lines that cut through the dirt.

'I wish I was joking, but... I think it's literally a wheely castle. When was the last message from inside?'

'About two hours ago... I suppose they've had time to wheel off somewhere... but does that mean our people aren't safe?'

Sam turned the dial on his earpiece until his message would reach everyone preparing to invade the cavern.

'Abort. Abort. The castle has moved. Abort.'

A cloud of dirt was kicked up. It quickly became a whirling sandstorm. Sam spun to find himself facing three Shadow Sandaconda. It was almost impossible to speak to Shadow Pokémon, but he didn't need to ask what they were doing. They covered all traces of the rails.

'But... there must be a very large tunnel leading to where–'

Sam's voice was drowned out by an echoing rumble. The floor trembled. Something crashed in the distance.

'Get out!' Mirabelle shrieked, 'Everyone, get out!'

The elevator was too risky. Sam sent three local officers up the steps on his Charizard. Mirabelle's Salamence carried the other two. When they returned for their Trainers, they coughed and spluttered. Dirt rushed down the steps. There was a stomach-churning splat. One of the Sandaconda was crushed by a falling boulder. Another crashed down the steps. Above the chaos, Reira's voice was strangely clear.

'Sam! Mirabelle! Do not use the steps! Get as far away as possible! A landslide's coming!'

It wasn't the only landslide. The other blocked the tunnel that Sam assumed was there. Charizard and Salamence carried them to the further corner of the cavern. They spread their wings to protect them. More boulders crashed down. The air was so thick with flying dirt that it grew difficult to breathe. One of the remaining Sandaconda attacked. Sam's Greninja knocked it out. Mirabelle switched on her Snag Machine to catch the other. Sam regretted allowing his Gallade to forget how to use Teleport in favour of Shadow Sneak.