Chapter 80: The Poison Badge

Snow always dusted the hills of Circhester. Its ancient baths, once used by Zacian and Zamazenta and still used by Pokémon, were always cold. Ice crept over windows in the night. Puddles froze. The rising sun began to melt them by the time Heather and Pluto arrived.

Heather was still frozen. She was going to say that she had never been so cold in her life, but although that was true, she felt much colder when she was a child sleeping in the open desert. Pluto didn't seem to miss the coat he gave to her. The castle was always cold. Jahzeel couldn't afford to install any kind of heating system when he built it.

'Wow! It's magical in a different way to Glimwood Tangle!'

'I suppose. I prefer the woods, personally.'

'I guess I'll get sick of this temperature within a few hours.'

Steam billowed from the bath in the main square. It was still illuminated for the night, as was the most famous one, the Hero's Bath that looked down from the hilltop above. The lights of hotels crept around curtains and past hanging baskets. The greatest source of light, however, was the glow of the stadium. It crept over the horizon no matter where one stood in Circhester.

That was where they headed. It wasn't open yet. Klara and her staff were known for being a little lazy and only opening at the last minute. Daeng and Laverne jogged on the spot outside to stay warm. So Laverne must have defeated Bede. He waved to Heather, but Daeng didn't. He looked down as if he believed she killed Victor.

What the fuck, dude? You're the one chilling with Volo's great-times-seven grandson! If you're such a prodigy, don't you recognise a Barraskewda bite when you see one?!

Not to mention that Daeng had a black eye and busted lip of his own. There was a fresh gash on Laverne's arm.

A League Staff member arrived. He was apparently employed by the Galar League, not Klara personally, because there were eight more minutes until the doors opened to challengers, but he unlocked them.

'Come in! It's bloody freezing out here!'

As soon as they stepped in, they were almost knocked over. Someone rushed out. Platform boots clattered down the hill. Klara's Scolipede scuttled after her. The Gym Trainers who followed were already gasping for breath. The challengers blinked in synchrony.

'What was that...?'

The League Staff member was bewildered.

'I've no idea...'

Pluto took off after them. By the time he caught up, Klara was on her knees by the Hero's Bath.

'Hey! Heeeeey!'

Her voice echoed. There was nothing in sight for Klara to shout at. Her Gym Trainers, who only just caught up, wondered if both she and the bellhop who called her lost their minds. Fog began to fill the streets.

'Gran! What happened?!'

Bard ran from his grandmother's cosy home to the bath when he heard her panicked voice. He had already defeated her, but the frigid waters of the Circhester Bay were so uninviting that he stayed for a few days. To his surprise, she burst into tears.

'I... I can't do this... anymore... I... I'm too old... that's... that's why I couldn't see through Tance... I couldn't... even protect my own kid...'

By the time she caught her breath to speak, Heather joined Pluto. She was too curious to stay in the stadium. They shared bewildered glances. Perhaps they were wrong to be so wary of Klara, but what in the world prompted this? Bard tried to help her to her feet. Her legs gave way.