Chapter 27: Agreement

Despite adding a Chinchou to her team, Hessie was defeated by Ace. She was too nervous to use her Dynamax Band. When she returned to the box, she was even more downcast than usual, but it wasn't because of the loss itself.

'That means I'll have to do the kayaking again...'

'Oh, no...'

It wasn't long until Hazel reappeared on the pitch. She fell out of the kayak as soon as she got in, but through all her panicked flailing, she ended up being swept straight past the Gym Trainers to the doors. Her Eevee had evolved into Leafeon. It seemed she was going to win until Ace sent out Lapras. It knocked Leafeon out with Max Hailstorm. Her poor Scorbunny was only just well enough to battle and was instantly knocked out by Max Geyser. She had no choice but to Dynamax the Stufful she caught on Route 5, because it was her last Pokémon. It was surprisingly strong. Its flailing leg cracked Lapras' shell to knock it out in one hit.

'Wow!' Hessie exclaimed, 'Maybe I should get one!'

Teddy nervously ran off to begin his Gym mission. He was encouraged by Hazel's win, but he hadn't trained his Pokémon enough. He, too, would have to endure the kayaking again. Ace defeated him with two Pokémon left.

Heather remained in Hulbury that night, but she needed to move on. Hessie insisted it was fine. She had to do this herself.

'One day, I'll catch up to you...'

Hazel was eager to challenge Olive already. She wasn't interested in the wild Pokémon in Galar Mine No. 2, so she took the first train to Motostoke. Heather walked to the stadium with Hessie and the boys. Desiderio had only just set up his stall, but he had already convinced Bard to buy an adventure novel and one of Jovi's books about Shadow Pokémon. As soon as Bard walked away, he surveyed his Craving Books bag with a grimace.

'Why did I buy these...? I'm not gonna read anything...'

His Pawniard folded its arms. It tried to tell him, but he didn't notice.

Scuffed trainers hit the tarmac. Heather glanced back to see Pluto waving Braviary away. To her surprise, he smiled. She turned to wish Hessie good luck, but she was already out of earshot, stepping around the automatic doors before they fully opened.

I didn't think he could be, but... is Pluto the one who stole her Ponyta? But he doesn't match her description...

'Hello there, Pluto! Looking for anything in particular today?'

Desiderio was already talking to Pluto. Heather thought he was gullible, but it seemed that he approached the stall of his own accord. Then it clicked that Desiderio knew him by name.

So he reads, eh? Guess I've got to show some interest today.

'Mornin', book dude.'

'Good morning! What was your name again?'

'Garnet. Hey, Pluto.'

Pluto nodded. 'Good morning.'

'Ah!' Desiderio exclaimed, 'You two know each other? Well, if you're friendly with Pluto, might I recommend Lusamine's biography? He enjoyed it.'

'I wouldn't say I enjoyed reading about such a vile person... but I suppose it was interesting.'

'Yeah,' Heather replied, 'I don't think I'm interested in her, either. What's with the sunglasses, book bro? Are you hungover?'

'Quite. But my enthusiasm remains unchanged! How about this, Pluto?'

He thrust a black book at Pluto: GIOVANNI: The Life of a Wanted Man.

'Damn,' Heather said, 'He really wasn't a nice man.'

Pluto nodded again. 'Simply shocking, isn't it? The lengths people will go to in order to achieve their aims...'

'Yeah. And somehow, I don't think Giovanni was desperate.'

'Would desperation justify his actions?'

Heather tried to read his face first. Then his eyes. Then his body language. Though he hunched, that never changed. He was unreadable.

'Answer me. I'm curious.'

'Depends on the circumstance.'

'What circumstance would make it acceptable?'

'If he was manipulated or reacting to abuse or whatever... the lines would be blurred.'

'Indeed. I hoped we might agree on that.'

'I don't think Giovanni was desperate, though. He wanted money and power.'

'As so many do...'

'Maybe I will read it.'

Desiderio whipped out a bag. The book was in it, then in Heather's hands, before she could change her mind.

'Certainly! It's a good choice! That will be P800, please!'

While Heather took a P1,000 note from the Euphoria wallet that Zenko sent, which was still new and stiff, Pluto fished out a football-print wallet from his deep pockets. That didn't look particularly old. The most striking thing about it, however, was how much money was in it. He shoved several P10,000 notes back in before they were whisked away by the wind.

'Thank you, thank you! If you enjoy that book, do let me know. I'll find something equally fascinating for you! Best of luck in Motostoke!'

'Cheers.'

There was no question that Pluto had a completely Galarian accent. He even used local slang.

But I'm sure that Zorua has been with him for most of his life. I doubt he had a Snag Machine at two. So if he really is from modern-day Galar, where did those Pokémon come from? Man... did this Volo really join Team Plasma? Is that why Noah knew about him? I mean, it's one thing knowing about him, but it's another thing if he was Noah's idol. He'd need to know a lot about him. The cops are so sure he wouldn't waste his time serving Team Plasma, but he wouldn't be serving them, would he? He'd be using them, just like Jahzeel used Tance. He's done it once already. He used that Ginter. But then what is Team Plasma to Pluto?

Heather hoped she might get the chance to continue talking to him, even if it was about the book, but he was already bidding her goodbye.

'I'd like to watch today's battles.'

'I bet you didn't buy a ticket.'

'If I kept buying those ridiculously-priced tickets, I'd be broke. Farewell for now, Garnet.'

He doesn't want to use my real name in front of book bro or his girlfriend, but he doesn't mind if book bro hears him admitting that he hacked his way in... I don't even know what that implies.