Chapter 15: Fake Identity

'Who the fuck is Heather Haider?'

Pluto wasn't convinced by Heather's feigned confusion. He didn't sound angry or concerned. In fact, that was the softest she heard him speak yet.

'Why are you here? Are you working with the International Police, or what...? How much do you know? What do you think is going on?'

'I don't know who this "Heather" is, but my name is Garnet Qadir.'

'With a fake ID to match, I'm sure. I expect no less of such a competent hacker.'

How did he know who she was? The public knew her as Zenko Okawa's stepdaughter, but not as Jamie's daughter. When Jamie was asked to keep quiet about something, it was impossible to find out. Besides, fans were too busy talking about Delphina to question how much Heather and Perry looked like their father. There was a video of Heather disrupting a Euphoria concert to snag a bunch of Shadow Pokémon, but it was overshadowed by Zenko being kidnapped. Even so, it didn't confirm that she was anything but a concerned kid with a Snag Machine.

And somehow I don't think he listens to Euphoria – or keeps tabs on random celebrities – so what the fuck?

'I told you – I'm just a Gym Challenger! I should be asking you what the hell is going on!'

'So you won't admit it... that's fine. I understand. I'm sure we have similar aims... so all I ask is that you don't get in the way of the Lost Kids... and if you are working with the International Police, please don't waste your time... or ours... trying to arrest us. We are not the problem.'

'Dude, I'm not working with anyone. I came here because every kid in Elemar sees Galar on TV and dreams of battling here. But even if I was a secret agent in disguise... you're making yourself sound suspicious by telling me you're not.'

If you're not suspicious, why did you send that chick off before you said my name? And if you know she's a bad guy, but you're in charge, what the fuck? No. You know what? He's a bad guy. But... why does he care whether or not his minions hear my name? Is he pretending to protect me so I trust him and spill the beans, or...?

'Think what you will...'

'You know, if you're so sure you and the International Police want the same thing, why aren't you working with them?'

'I don't trust them. I don't trust most people...'

'But you'd trust this Heather Haider?'

'Yes... because you didn't save all those Shadow Pokémon because someone asked you to. You didn't even want to be applauded for it. You did it purely because you love Pokémon.'

How did he know what Heather did when, as he said, she didn't need to be applauded for it? Only her family and friends knew. She doubted they talked about it without her, but even if they did, Heather secured all their devices. The International Police, however, must have talked about it before recruiting Heather. Did Pluto hack them? Why was he hacking the International Police? It couldn't be that. He only just recognised her. He didn't know exactly what her mission was. If he had hacked the International Police prior, he would have known all of that from the start.

'Dude, I honestly don't have a clue what you're talking about... I'm kind of freaked out. Are you gonna let me down from this cliff?'

'If you don't want to use your Garchomp... or your own strength, which I'm sure would get you down this cliff in minutes... of course. Braviary. Please take "Garnet" back down to Route 4.'

As Braviary dropped Heather in one of the golden fields, where a Farmer appeared from nowhere to challenge her, she remembered that there was one other group that knew exactly what she did in Orre, because she stole the Pokémon from them: Cipher.