Chapter 58: The Conversation

Hessie didn't notice that Heather was absent during her battle. She was too focused on finding the courage to use her Dynamax Band in front of all those people. Rex noticed that Jamie and Perry disappeared, of course, but he didn't question it when Perry said Heather had a sudden vomiting bout.

'Oh, dear, Garnet, are you alright?'

'Yeah... I'm fine now. I feel a bit gross, though.'

'The nerves are bound to get to you all eventually. I couldn't battle in front of thousands of people! Especially with all that's going on. Don't feel bad.'

Hessie stared at the floor as she trudged out into the lobby.

'I got so nervous...'

'Don't you feel bad, either.'

She sighed. 'If you want to carry on, Garnet, it's OK. There isn't really anywhere to train around here...'

Heather hesitated. She couldn't say. She knew she couldn't. She had to get to Ballonlea. Not only did she suspect there was Team Plasma activity there, but Sonia wanted her to ask Desiderio if he could order a copy of the Original Book. Desiderio wasn't at his stall, so he was probably at his shop or the university where he taught Kantonian. Heather also needed to at least speak to Pluto again.

'I really want to stay, but... a friend of mine back home asked if I could get a book from that dude. You know, the Craving Books dude. But he's not here. My friend has a deadline, so... I gotta get to the store.'

'It's OK. Please don't feel bad. I'll catch up to you. It's a goal for me to meet! And it's a promise!'

Heather was too busy feeling guilty to notice Rex glancing up at the Ball Guy with a frown, but Jamie noticed. The Ball Guy's dance was a little stiff, as if he worried he was being watched, when he gave Bard a Heavy Ball.

'If you're really sure...'

'I'm sure! My grandpa's here, so I'll be OK.'

Rex smiled. 'How about we get a curry, Hessie? I've heard there's a delightful restaurant with a view of the ruins here. You're all welcome to join us if you've time, of course.'

'Thanks for the offer,' Perry replied, 'But I gotta meet my girlfriend.'

He actually needed to return to the lab in Wedgehurst, but Rex didn't need to know that. Even Heather couldn't quite tell what Jamie was thinking or what he was about to say.

'Maybe I will join you. I haven't eaten since I left Neon City. I must say I can't stomach any in-flight meals.'

'Oh, I don't blame you! Well, I've never flown myself, but I can't imagine they're very tasty. So curry it is!'

Jamie wished Heather luck in Glimwood Tangle and left with Hessie and Rex. They climbed steps to a ridge decorated with vibrant bunting. The restaurant was built into the cliffs.

Heather worried that Perry would take off on a recognisable Pokémon. To her relief, he knew better. As one of only two people to complete the Orre Pokédex, he had plenty to choose from. He launched off on a Golurk.

Now... where do I find Pluto? And what was that exploding disco ball thing? Argh! I forgot about that! We should've discussed it... but I guess we will in Ballonlea. I'll get there by tomorrow, no matter what.

'Good afternoon.'

She heard footsteps before she had the chance to be startled. Pluto smiled brightly now. When Heather decided those Grunts were his Grunts, she wondered what she saw in him, but that smile turned her rational thoughts to mush.