Chapter 29: The Most Wanted Man

Nathan's Buzzwole confirmed that the bizarre outfit in Emmet's attic was indeed what it saw. The most wanted man in the world was no longer Jahzeel Alnwick or Tance Day. It was Volo Lucine. Expert artists at the International Police HQ produced clear images from those old photographs. Thousands of wanted posters were quickly printed. Every officer received the same order: they were to prioritise catching Volo.

Jahzeel didn't need to hack the International Police to find out. His daughter and Admin, Caroline, called him to the security room.

The news was usually muted on her laptop, but it was turned up to full volume as soon as Volo's face appeared on every news channel.

'Oh deary me.'

'That fool...'

Jahzeel grabbed his radio. 'Volo! Where are you?!'

It was a few moments until the reply came.

'Why?'

'Your face is on every television in the world! They know you are here! You are the most wanted man in the world!'

'Oh... that is a problem, isn't it? But surely it suits you? They'll be too busy chasing me to find you.'

'You are a member of Team Plasma, or so you swear.'

'Well, yes...'

'Volo, I assure you that if you hesitate for even one second about serving Team Plasma – I will kill you before the police get the chance.'

'You aren't exactly helping by screaming my name through my radio, are you? There are people about.'

'I trust your face is covered?'

'Yes. As it has been since I began to suspect that people questioned my identity. But not to worry. I assure you I won't be caught.'

'If you are, I will not help you. And if you expose Team Plasma – if I cannot kill you, I will expose you. I will ensure you never see the outside of Gatas Prison again. I know everything about you and your motives, Volo Lucine.'

'Yes, yes. I know. You can continue scolding me when I return tonight. For now, I'm afraid I have to cut you off, or your shouting will expose me. Take care, friend!'

Caroline shook her head. Her fingers drummed the handle of the knife on her desk.

'He's gonna turn on you, Dad.'

'I suppose it doesn't matter. Ultimately, he is useful, but I don't need him. He, on the other hand, needs me. Perhaps he could have taken over the developing world of 1812. One man cannot take over the modern world, with all its borders and protectors, of 2078.'

'He doesn't want to take over the world. He wants to meet Arceus.'

'Indeed. He wishes to meet Arceus in order to conquer it and build a better world. However, that will never happen. Arceus will never appear to such a person, just as it would never appear to me...'