Taking The Lead

‘by orphan_account’

: Hinata Shoyo x Kageyama Tobio

___________________________________________
Hinata and Kageyama's college team parties hard.

When the two of them had graduated from high school, their farewell party had been full of tearful goodbyes and hundreds of thanks from their underclassmen for taking them to the top in the nationals. The redhead and the sharp-faced brunette had seen them off with warm affection, trying hard not to cry themselves, though Kageyama would deny that he'd been on the verge of tears to his dying day.

That party had been broken up by Tsukishima eventually yawning and wishing the team a good night. Yamaguchi, the captain, had followed his best friend-turned-boyfriend off to the door, and everyone else had flitted away shortly after he'd given the tall blonde a hug.

Now, the Taisho University regulars band together to congratulate the "Freak Duo"-they still haven't been able to shake this nickname, even though they're almost twenty-one years old-and the guys bring loads of alcohol to Iwasaki Ryuto's house. There are disco lights in the corners of the room, the base thumps loudly through the floor, and everyone's just gotten there. Kageyama takes everything in with his usual trademark scowl.

"Drink up, drink up," Noguchi yells, pressing the first can of beer to Hinata's lips. Kageyama bristles a bit, to see how close the man with cropped hair is to his boyfriend, but the redhead calms him down with a touch on the inside of his wrist. "You two can't wriggle out of this one. We won the game against Kanagawa Tech because of you two, so drink up!"

If he sounds a little tipsy, it's because he, along with three of their teammates, had gone for a quick round of shots right before the party. Noguchi insists that everyone else has to catch up.

Hinata clinks his can against Kageyama's with a knowing look. Asshole, the setter thinks. Kageyama can't hold his liquor very well, and Hinata's very aware of that fact. From the way he lowers his lashes and flashes the brunette a smirk, taking a swig of his beer like it's a challenge, he's fully intending to put Kageyama on the floor tonight.

"To victory," Hinata cries loudly, and a chorus of grown men cheer, raising drinks.

Wide-pupiled eyes flick over to Kageyama, and he swallows dryly. Hinata is so dangerous when he's like this, when he won't take no for an answer. The redhead licks his lips, loosening the buttons of his collar. Kageyama tries not to feel like the world is ending.

//

It takes approximately one hour for shit to hit the fan. Hinata's cheeks are flushed red, but he's far less drunk than he's acting. He's always loud, even entirely sober, so of course he just gets louder when he's had a few beers. He's a giggly, touchy drinker, and he simply does not care that he's climbing into his boyfriend's lap and petting his thighs.

Kageyama, on the other hand, looks stone-cold sober, and he's the one with his eyesight blurring. He's seeing fuzzy doubles of Hinata when his eyes cross, and he's insulting the spiker a lot less than he usually would.

"Wanna kiss?" Hinata asks the question so loudly that the rest of their teammates catcall. They'd come out to them a long time ago, mostly because neither of them are good at hiding a damn thing. It's the first time they've been drunk together at a party with them, however, and it's good to know that their team accepts them despite their being gay, Kageyama supposes.

"What, here?" He mumbles the inquiry and it comes out sounding more like, whugg, orr? Hinata is well-versed in all varieties of Kageyama-speech, though, so he nods eagerly and licks his lips. "M'drunk."

"So'm I," Hinata replies, scooching further forward so his hips run into his boyfriend's. Kageyama glares at him half-heartedly.

Hinata can usually be compromised with. He can see reason, even if both of them are stubborn asses that don't want to back down from a fight. Kageyama opens his mouth to say no, but Hinata's giving him one of those looks-one with open eyes, a coy smile; one where his innocent expression is betrayed his by his wandering hands.