Similarities

'by notallballs'

:Hinata Shoyou x Ushijima Wakatoshi

___________________________________________As soon as practice ends, Shouyou drops to the floor right where he is, sprawling out on his back with his limbs spreadeagled.

"Hinata!" someone yells, laughing at him good-naturedly. "Come on, let's go change!"

"I'll be there in a minute!" he calls back, before closing his eyes. It's peaceful in the gym, though every little sound echoes around the large space. It dwarfs the little gym back home, and Shouyou feels strangely homesick, even though this two day training camp has been the most fun he's had in his life outside of playing volleyball with Karasuno.

He lies there for several minutes, feeling the sweat begin on cool on his skin, listening to the laughter of his potential teammates. Shouyou can't help but grin up at the ceiling. He can't believe that he of all people got scouted, and for a school as awesome as this. It's odd to be here without Kageyama, or even Yamaguchi or Tsukishima, but it's strangely freeing too. Plus, the training camp hasn't been entirely devoid of familiar faces.

"Are you unwell?"

Shouyou opens his eyes and looks up at the familiar, silhouetted form leaning over him.

"Ushiwaka-senpai," he says, eyes widening in surprise. "I-I just like it here I guess."

To his surprise, Ushijima sits down on the floor beside him. "Does that mean you've made your decision?"

Shouyou makes a thoughtful noise, then pushes himself into a sitting position also. "I don't know," he said, scrunching his nose in thought. "Maybe, if I get the grades."

"The university will offer you a sports scholarship," Ushijima says, and it takes Shouyou a moment to work out that it's supposed to be a question.

"Oh! Yeah," he says, feeling foolish. "But I mean-I still gotta meet the requirements. I'm not really, uh-" He looks away, a little ashamed. "I don't study much."

"You prefer to be on the court," Ushijima suggests, and Shouyou lets out a heavy sigh of relief.

"Yeah! Exactly! Why would I want to study when I could be playing volleyball?" He leans back on his hands with a loud groan. "Me and Kageyama-I mean, we tried a lot harder this year, with classes and stuff, but either way we didn't get offers from the same places." He looks away again, lowering his gaze to the floor. "And my family can't afford to send me to university without the scholarship. I'm lucky that I'm an alpha, I guess. People still have these old-fashioned ideas about alphas being better as sports, as if that has anything to do with it."

Ushijima clears his throat gently. "That is true. When I was younger, it was difficult to convince people that I could play as well as my alpha teammates."

Shouyou looks up, stunned. "You're-not an alpha?"

"I am an omega."

"Oh!" Shouyou says, feeling a faint blush rush to his cheeks. He's always found Ushijima attractive, but relationships between two alphas aren't the kind of thing you just go around yelling about. But if he's an omega...

"You are surprised."

Shouyou nods, his blush deepening. "I thought you were an alpha. Sorry, you probably get that a lot."

"On occasion. It does not concern me."

"Still."

Ushijima shrugs slightly. "I merely intended to show you that I understand. I was invited to middle school on a sports scholarship. I trained hard so that I would be accepted to Shiratorizawa Junior High, and overcome my designation, and my family's limited means."