Under The Spotlight

'by tid8bit'

:Hinata Shoyo x Miya Atsumu

___________________________________________
If anyone asked Atsumu Miya his opinion about Hinata during the Tokyo Nationals previous to their game his answer would have been, "Loser, worthless, waste of space on the court, orange goblin" among a much wider range of verbal abuse. Atsumu was ruthless in his assessment of other players, his tongue was sharper than a kitchen knife and he was never one to mince words. He just wasn't born with a filter, and that granted him the dislikes of many of his former volleyball teammates. But it didn't matter, if they couldn't get to his level they weren't worth it, and from what he'd seen of Hinata he definitely wasn't worth it either.

The day Inarizaki versed Karasuno he received a shocking and pleasant surprise. Hinata's devotion to match his setter's skills, his constant efforts despite his obvious shortcomings, his endless stamina and unwavering will to win. No matter when or where, Hinata tried his best to spike the ball so long his setter put his soul into it. Atsumu's eyes sparkled.

"Seriously, he plays like he's eatin' good grub," Osamu told him at some point while they were benched, "Like he's always hungry for more."

As the game progressed he couldn't help but agree with his brother, Hinata was a force to be reckoned, his hunger contagious to everyone around him. Atsumu felt it too, wanted to match his enthusiasm, wanted to give it all in this game. He wondered how Kageyama dealt with someone so greedy, so demanding, and at the same time he wanted to be in his shoes. Hinata made any setter want to toss for him, and Atsumu made that his goal.

The battle finished in a loss for Inarizaki, yet Atsumu feels like he's won something important. He calls for Hinata after the game, "One day I'll set for you."

- - -

Reminiscing about the past Atsumu finds himself absent-mindedly changing clothes in the Black Jackals' locker rooms along the rest of the team.

"Hey hey hey Hinata, that was a super awsome spike you did in the end, good job!!" Bokuto lifts his arms for a high five and Hinata jumps and returns it energetically.

"Really?! Your line shots were much stronger Bokuto-san, I gotta train hard if I want to be as cool as you." They bump chests and go on about their plays together.

"Move away from the door," growls Sakusa, "And don't be so excited about a practice match, are you two children?" he manages to enter the room slinking in between them.

Hinata and Bokuto stare at him, opening their arms and approaching the man with sly grins, squinting their eyes, "O-mi-O-mi..."

Sakusa steps back, "No." He tries to flee around the lockers but he's cornered and squashed by both men, still sweaty and sticking to him like glue. "ARGHHH!!"

Atsumu laughs at the chaos, "Serves ya right Omi-kun, we beat the Adlers a few days ago, don't be a party-crasher."

Truth be told, Atsumu feels at home with this team. Every match is fun and exciting, and he doesn't want to admit it out loud -as obvious as it is- but the biggest reason is Hinata. His heart did backflips the moment he saw him enter the gym as an official Black Jackal member, and when Hinata waved at him with an honest-to-god smile, he'd known he was screwed. The promise to be his setter coming true after so long made him feel butterflies in the stomach, or he hoped that was the only reason. Turns out they synched well inside and outside the court, Hinata's presence even mellowed out Atsumu to behave more politely around other people, but of course noone's going to be able to change his prideful nature and occasional whiny mood.

Shortly after Hinata and Bokuto get out from the shower room wearing a towel around their waists, hair limp and wet and skin gleaming from the heat. Sakusa decides to leave early to shower at home, "Too many germs here."