XXV-9

Before Susie could get a chance to respond, the door opened once more to reveal the nurse.

Not a word was said as Susie was escorted out of the room.
Leo was there, feeling more or less ignored, completely. Aunt Susie, she was too far gone. The drugs had gotten to her.

He opened his mouth to the nurse before being cut off by the sudden unplug of the heart monitor.

"Run," Nurse Ray muttered.
It almost didn't sound real, it was like he was hallucinating again. Was this real? He wouldn't know..

"Run, Run."
Even Julia was repeating the phrase.

"Run. 尺∪れ."

The second the plug hit the ground, he shot out of the bed, landing onto his bare feet. He darted to the door, taking one last look at Ray.

She was still just allowing this. But it felt so….delusional.

He swung the door open, seeing his aunt in the doorway where she had been put when led out.
He ignored her direct contact, shoving past her harshly to get by.

The 16 year old boy ran down the hospital halls. He could feel all eyes on him. That wasn't an unfamiliar feeling.

Nurses and doctors would stare in shock while others would try and grab him, just being shy of reaching him.
This did not feel real at all.
He was beginning to illusion Susie's face getting further and further away as he ran. William getting further away.
尺口れれ工モ.

He was slipping away from the past each inch he ran.

The hallways stretched longer and longer the faster he'd run.

The white blinding lights multiplied, it was like the hallway was infinite. The only difference now was that nurses and doctors weren't the ones grabbing at him..monsters were.

Things with spider-like legs, claws, unhinged jaws. It would be anyone's nightmare.

This only made Leo run even faster, in fear but also in adrenaline. It was almost as if these monsters were helping him in some way..

He knew it was all just in his head, but hell sometimes..his head was more interesting than this life.

••••

His hands pressed against the hospital doors with a herd of nurses and staff chasing after him.
The moment his bare feet hit the cold concrete and then the snow on the ground. It sent a chill through his spine, but he had to get away. He had to get away. The adults that were once chasing him had stopped at the entrance, all in complete disbelief on what just happened. It was clear none of them had trained for a runaway patient.

Leo still wasn't completely sure if Nurse Ray had really let him go, and surely didn't just let him leave like that. Or she did?
It was all so fuzzy. Leo could feel his already limited vision fall blurrier and blurrier the farther he ran. He could hear his heart beating through his brain. He was running clean of stamina.
The cold hit his face like a truck. One day it was nice but the next it was snowing like crazy.

Knowing his luck, it of course had to have been snowing when this occurred.
Leo hit the street, crossing it as quickly as he could.
Leo was now several blocks away from the city hospital. Running across bridges and dodging literal traffic to get away.
Sure many cars had stopped in attempt to either let him pass or catch him. It wasn't everyday you see a kid in hospital attire running down the street.

His feet were all bloodied up, his nose was a red tint from the cold hitting his face. It was hard to breathe in this atmosphere. It hurt his lungs.

The moment he felt the pain of his feet and lungs, it all hit him. It was all real. It had to be.

Leo stopped beside the now busy highway, turning on his heel, completely lost, and it was all his fault for giving it. Giving in to that phrase, that urge.

His feet were killing him. He could see the bloody footprints he left. It was clear he didn't care anymore. He wanted away from everything, from his home, from society.

Leo's legs gave out on him, allowing him to slip back and fall into a snowy ditch. There he huddled up into a fetus position and started to cry. He had let it all out..

Crying was a sign of vulnerability..he knew that. He hated crying. He knew what it got him.

Misery. Crying solved nothing. That's what he told himself. But dammit, he couldn't hold out anymore. His chest felt heavy, as did he.

Leo stayed in that ditch for hours. He had eventually lost complete consciousness due to the cold. He had spent his last few hours of sanity shivering and sobbing until his voice went out.

•••