XVII-2

William had been arrested for assault. He was going to be gone for a while. He was sentenced five years for placing hands on a minor and woman.

Leo knew this family had a lot going on, he knew why Ronnie was social distancing, and why Susie was quiet and frail, scared to be around a lot of people at once.

Ronnie went through a lot, and felt like Leo had it good, was that why he was jealous of him, because he had a nice family...A nice home..A loving father and a mother who spent time with him?

It's been three weeks since William's arrest.

Leo was on his bed, knees hugged closely to his chest. He was scared, he didn't feel safe here. Should he run away? What would Susie think, where would he go, to the police? No, they'd put him in foster care. He was told what they did to children there. Sold them, like they were precious jewels on the black market, and half of them are adopted into abusive families to be a punching bag, some are even shipped off into human trafficking.

Leo was way too young to fear these things, or to even know about them. But his parents always made him worry for things like that. They were really protective, so they told him what to look out for, in case they can't look out for him..

His mind trailed back. Leo looked at the window next to his bed. He felt an invisible leash, practically pulling him towards it. He slowly slid off the bed and trailed his fingers along the sheets before they parted from them and met the glass window. His dark green, teary eyes traveled around the front lawn and across the street.

His eyes met the thick, pine forest that laid on the other side of the road. The trees blew softly as he gritted his teeth roughly. He could hear the wind speaking to him, it was loud and raspy. Leo laid his forehead onto the window and closed his eyes.