e i g h t e e n

I gasped and tears flooded down my cheeks as Chloe dragged me out. She had both my hands in hers as I stumbled behind her.

"Chloe!" I shrieked. She stopped and stared at me, a look of something in her eyes. Pity? Sympathy? She looked like she didn't have a choice in what she was doing, and that she didn't want to do it.

My breaths were coming in gasps now from trying to keep up with her. My eyes were puffy and my mind couldn't stay away from the thought of Nate still in that cave, lying there, totally unconscious.

"Chloe, please." I whispered. A tear rolled down her cheek.

"I don't have a choice, y/n. I can't let you guys find this gold." My eyebrows furrowed at her words. What did she mean she didn't have a choice?

*NATE'S POV*

"You should never have trusted me." Chloe said as she grabbed the map out of my hand, yanking it and y/n away from me and locking her in a choke hold.

"Y/n!" I screamed and started towards her. Chloe pointed the gun towards me and I stopped and looked at Chloe. "Chloe," and my eyes locked with
y/n's.

'I love you.' She mouthed. And that was the last thing that happened before Chloe marched over to me, knocking me unconscious with a smack in the head with the gun.

*SULLY'S POV*

I walked through the tunnels that were leading me to where y/n and Nate were. On the bottom of one of the walls, I saw a small vent. I crouched down and looked through it, seeing a bunch of... salt? Sand? Whatever it was, it was spewing out of a bunch of broken barrels. But that's not it. There Nate lies, completely unconscious. I scream his name, but he doesn't move.

"Shit!" I scream and bang on the bars. I walked around, trying to find anywhere that had an opening, but couldn't find anywhere. I looked in the backpack, searching for anything that might be helpful. Luckily, I found a screwdriver. Don't ask why that was in there, it just was. I unscrewed the vent and jumped down, running to Nate.

"Nate! Shit, Nate, wake up kid!" I shook him and helped him up. He had a big bloody bruise on his forehead and he shot up, looking around. "Where's y/n?" I asked. Then the realization hit me. "Where's Chloe?..."

"They're gone! Chloe took y/n and knocked me unconscious and I don't know where the hell they went!" Nate screamed at me. Tears were pouring down his cheeks and he was frustrated.

"Okay, well we have to find the gold! We can find them later. That's probably where they're going anyway." I shrugged. He froze and turned towards me.

"What?" He looked at me with furrowed eyebrows and a scowl.

"Look kid, they're-"

"No. Y/n told me you're not there for her. Because of money. I thought you'd changed. I thought you maybe had some part of you that wasn't completely money obsessed. And Chloe told me Sam is gone. And you knew. And you didn't tell me." His eyes filled with tears and my stomach dropped. "Is this true?"

"Kid, I'm sorry. He's gone. He got shot. Right in front of me. You don't think it was hard for me?" He shook his head.

"And you just stood there? You didn't do anything to help him, you just watched him die." He sighed and looked away. "You asked me to help you because you thought that I knew something about the gold."

"Yeah." I said, shrugging. "Do you?" He looked at me and glared, shaking his head with disappointment.

"Did you seriously just ask me that?" I stared at him, not able to say anything as he stormed off.

"Wait, Nate! Nate!" I tried, but he was already gone.