t w e n t y - f o u r

As the box got nearer to the land, I jumped off into the water and ran towards the sand. Nate helped Chloe down and they both ran to catch up with me.

Once we got to the island, there was a man on a chair staring at us with a martini in his hand.

"What happened to you guys?" He asked and took a sip of his drink.

I looked at Nate and stifled a laugh. "Yeah, Nate. What happened to us?" He glared at me.

"Well... we fell out of a car... that fell out of a plane." He looked at the man and smiled. The man looked confused, but then understanding.

"You know, something like that happened to me once."

Nate looked at me and Chloe and raised his eyebrows. "Okay."

I giggled and followed Nate as he walked over to a bar. Typical Nate, always at the bar. Nate ordered a glass of water (for me. I'm not the alcohol type) and a piña colada for him, and Chloe didn't want anything.

"And here is your card back, Mr. Sullivan." The man at the counter said, handing Nate his credit card. Don't ask me how that managed to survive falling out of the plane.

I choked on my water when he said my dads name.

"Oh please. Call me Victor." Nate flashed a smile and took his card. Chloe looked at him and raised an eyebrow as I glared at him. "Oh, come on. I spent ten hours in a trunk with him, I couldn't help myself." I rolled my eyes and set my water down.

"Okay, anyways. We need to find somewhere to stay for a little while to find where the gold is. We need to get the gold and get back home fast. I do have a life other than treasure hunting." I snapped and Chloe nodded.

"You do? I expected everything in your life to be shutting yourself out from the world and moping around about your mom." Nate said. My stomach dropped. Did he seriously just say that? I stood up and splashed my water in his face and ran off towards a nearby building.

*NATE'S POV*

The second those words came out of my mouth I instantly regretted letting them loose. Water dropped off my face as I watched y/n run towards the bar across from the beach. I stood up and started running towards her when I felt a hand get placed on my shoulder to stop me. I turned and looked at chloe.

"Just let her go. What you said was harsh. Give her a minute and go talk to her." I looked back towards the building, sighed, and sat back down. For five minutes (it totally felt like much longer though) my leg couldn't stop shaking as my stomach did flip-flops. Why the hell did I say that? God, i'm so stupid! Was there something wrong with me? What in the world made me think that was okay to say?

I looked at Chloe and she nodded. My stomach erupted in butterflies as I stood up and sped towards the bar in search up y/n.

*Y/N'S POV*

I splashed water on my face in the bathroom inside the bar. Tears streamed down my face as memories of my mother flooded my mind.

Nate was so stupid. Why did he have to say that, when I had been able to have my mind elsewhere this whole time we've been gone. It made me mad.

I grabbed a towel and wiped the water and tears off my rosy cheeks and walked out of the bathroom. When I got out there, I instantly regretted it. Nate was there, scanning the room. What did he have to say?

My lip started to quiver as his eyes met mine. His face turned soft and he ran over to me, embracing me in a hug. I wanted to fight; to push him away. But the hug felt so good. I had forgotten what a genuine hug felt like. My dad never gave me hugs.

"Oh, y/n. I am so, so sorry. I didn't think, and before I knew it, the words were spewing out of me like I didn't have control over my tongue. I am so so-" I didn't let him finish, because before I knew it, my lips smashed against his as he ran his hands through my hair. I lifted mine up to the back of his head and sifted my fingers through his hair. He ran his hand down the length of my back, giving me goosebumps.

People were staring, but I didn't care. He pulled away and I took a deep breath. There seemed to be electric sparks between us for the first time. I smiled as he looked down at me, returning my smile.

"So i take it you forgive me?" He said, smiling.

I laughed and grabbed his hand, pulling him towards the door. "Come on. Chloe's out there waiting for us, and we need to find a place to stay."