18. Tension

Xiao Zhan smiled, pulled off his shoes and went inside their house. It was quite huge, but at the same time simple. "Dilraba, where's the bedroom?" Xiao Zhan asked her. "Upstairs, first left." Dilraba Dilmurat replied. "Thank you." Xiao Zhan said, bowing slightly and went straight towards the room. Luckily for him, the door was open, making it easier. Xiao Zhan walked inside the bedroom and gently placed Wang Yibo down on the bed. After setting him in a proper sleeping position, Xiao Zhan covered Wang Yibo with a blanket and walked out, gently closing the door behind him and walking downstairs.

"Xiao Zhan." Xiao Zhan turned around and saw Huang Jingyu sitting on the sofa. "Come sit." Xiao Zhan smiled and sat down next to Huang Jingyu. Dilraba joined them the next minute with a glass of water in her hand and handed it to Xiao Zhan. "Thank you." Xiao Zhan said smiling as he took the glass from her hand and drank some. He didn't even realise how thirsty he was till now.

"Spill. What's going on?" Huang Jingyu asked him. Xiao Zhan sighed as he leaned back against the sofa and narrated everything that happened. "So that omega you got is Zhu Zanjin's fiancee?" Dilraba Dilmurat concluded. "Yes." Hearing this, Huang Jingyu chuckled. "What's wrong?" Xiao Zhan asked his friend. "Nothing much. You seem quite caring to him." Huang Jingyu replied making Xiao Zhan nearly choke on his water. After coughing three times, Xiao Zhan stared straight as his friend.

"What do you mean?" "Xiao Zhan, you know what I mean. You've never been this caring to a stranger before." Huang Jingyu replied, grinning. "Are you trying to say I'm heartless?" Xiao Zhan asked making Dilraba chuckle. "In a manner of speaking, you are." Huang Jingyu replied making Xiao Zhan stare straight at him.

However, after looking at him for some time, Xiao Zhan looked down again. Taking in a deep breath he gulped down another mouthful of water. Just as he was about to swallow it, Huang Jingyu spoke up again. "By the way Xiao Zhan, do you know that Ji Li came back?" Hearing this, Xiao Zhan stared at Huang Jingyu, his eyes wide open. He swallowed the water and spoke, "Really? When did he come back?" He asked. "Yesterday evening. He texted both me and Dilraba and he said that he went to your house to meet you and give you a surprise. But he said you weren't at your aunt's house." Huang Jingyu said. Xiao Zhan grinned nervously.

Xiao Zhan sighed and awkwardly rubbed his neck. "Do you still feel uneasy around him? I don't blame you if you do." Dilraba said. "Uh... Dilraba, do you...uh... have any medicine which can reduce a fever?" Xiao Zhan asked her. "Yes I do, one minute."

Dilraba left and came back with a small bottle of medicine. "Thank you." Xiao Zhan said as he took the bottle from her hand and went inside the bedroom in which Wang Yibo was lying on. Wang Yibo layed peacefully on the bed, although his face was completely red. Xiao Zhan carefully walked towards and patted him. "Wang Yibo. Wang Yibo. Wang Yibo wake up." Xiao Zhan said softly as he kept shaking him awake.

Wang Yibo slowly woke up and saw Xiao Zhan's face inches away from his. "Get up. Come on." The alpha gently coaxed the omega. However, as Wang Yibo tried to get up, his head spun dangerously and almost fell back on the bed. However, Xiao Zhan caught his neck and steadied him again.

Xiao Zhan sighed as he moved away from Wang Yibo and poured out the medicine in the cap for the omega after opening it. "Wang Yibo." Xiao Zhan said as he tried to hand the cap to him. However, Wang Yibo weakly shook his head. "It's medicine. You need to have it to regain your strength." However, Wang Yibo shook his head again.

Xiao Zhan sighed and squeezed Wang Yibo's cheeks with one hand and forcing his mouth open. Wang Yibo was so shocked with such a sudden movement that he started struggling. Xiao Zhan forced the medicine down Wang Yibo's throat, making the latter cough and fall back on the bed.

Once he drank the medicine, Xiao Zhan touched Wang Yibo's forehead again which was burning up as badly as before. 'He should really eat something. Maybe porridge would do.' Xiao Zhan thought. Just as he was about to move away, he felt a hand grab his the next minute, his fingers were interwined.

Xiao Zhan looked down and saw Wang Yibo holding his hand and pulling it towards his chest. "Zanjin, don't go." Wang Yibo muttered as he pressed Xiao Zhan's hand against his chest. Xiao Zhan stared at Wang Yibo as he could feel the heart beating under his hand. Sighing once, he slowly raised his other hand and gently started stroking Wang Yibo's head as if he were a puppy. Wang Yibo nuzzled against Xiao Zhan's hand.

Xiao Zhan pulled back his hand and rubbed his neck. He thought his plan was going perfectly, with a few bumps (which he had expected) on the road. But right now, it felt like the road became extremely horrible. Why did Ji Li have to come back at a time like this?

Ji Li was Xiao Zhan's childhood best friend. That's right, he 'was' his childhood best friend. Just like Wang Yibo, Ji Li was also an omega who was the same age as Xiao Zhan. Their parents were extremely close, making the two kids extremely close back then. As years passed, Ji Li gradually fell in love with Xiao Zhan and finally confessed to him once they both became 18.

Xiao Zhan initially thought of rejecting him politely as he never saw Ji Li as something more than a brother. However, soon after Ji Li's confession, Xiao Zhan's parents got killed in a fire, making Xiao Zhan close himself off. Wanting nothing from the past to haunt him, Xiao Zhan left his old house, abandoning Ji Li in the process and started living on the streets.

He made a living on the streets by saving people from any kind of danger they faced and asked for money in return. One day, he ended up saving his father's friend Lu Jianmin from a gang of robbers. Lu Jianmin eventually took Xiao Zhan to his house and started raising him as his own son.

Xiao Zhan sighed. If he was going to see Ji Li, how should he face him? He just abandoned him two years ago. Xiao Zhan wasn't even sure if Ji Li still had feelings for him or not. He just hoped that he would not run into him.