Comfortable

Throughout the rest of the day Mariano saw very little of his chameleon, as he and the rest of the family were busy cleaning up and removing decorations from the party.

It wasn't that he didn't notice him here or there, it was just that he was needed for a variety of tasks, including removing all of the streamers and banners around the house, that were set up at varying heights, whilst entertaining the large group of children from the village that always seemed to materialize out of nowhere.

As he led them all through the house, having enlisted them to assist him in the decor removal, he shifted between their varying forms, grinning at their squeals of delight.

He certainly had a way with children.

He would make a great father someday...

Or mother, Mariano's brain reminded him.

He'd almost forgotten that the shifter could also alter specific parts of himself separately, meaning that his reproductive abilities weren't limited in the slightest.

Mariano quickly cut off that train of thought before he could get derailed from the tracks and someone noticed the burning flush on his face.

He needed to calm down.

He tried to relax and banish these thoughts by simply observing his lover in his natural environment as he flounced around the home, his poncho catching the air like wings as he moved.

He was so beautiful, Mariano audibly sighed, a dreamy expression on his face. He could have watched him forever...

Then someone stepped into his view.

"Whatever it is you're thinking, stop thinking about it..." Dolores growled, having noticed the direction of the other's gaze as she was passing by, decorations in hand.

Mariano instantly diverted his attention, gaze shifting quicker than his chameleon himself; finding the older sister somehow managed to be just as threatening without a knife...

She narrowed her eyes threateningly towards him once again before stalking off to go put her basket of decorations away.

As he observed the other members of the family at work he also noted that Abuela was currently conversing with his mother in the corner, and turned his full attention towards them when she began to wave him over.

When he reached them both women were wearing twin grins, mischievous expressions that didn't belong on such responsible faces...

"Mariano," his mother began. "I- we think that you should stay here for a while to spend time with the family." His mother said sweetly.

Abuela continued, following this statement with. "We both think it would be a good idea for you to spend a bit more time with a certain special someone."

At this Mariano's eyes widened.

They were... accepting..?! Of him and his shifter..!?!

Then his hopes were shattered as his mother gestured excitedly behind him, turning, he found the beautiful Isabela in a hanging flower-sling, helping to remove the higher party decorations from the ceiling.

Oh.

That's what they meant.

Nevertheless... an idea hit him... he could still use this to his advantage...

"I think that's a wonderful idea mom, I think it would be great for me to spend more time with that special someone." He smiled, visibly enthralled by the idea but for a different reason than the two women hoped him to be...

Abuela nodded at this. "Then it's settled," she said cheerily. "I'll have your current room set up for a more extended residency than initially intended."

Then she turned to the party, searching with her eyes until she found the duplicate family member. She had noticed that there were two Mirabels in the room, both performing different tasks.

The one on the balcony was helping to remove decorations while humming softly, and the other was surrounded by a group of small children. Neither scenes were uncommon for either Camilo or Mirabel so Abuela was left with one option.

"Camilo?" She called, expecting a single response. What she had not expected were the two orchestrated responses of "Yes Abuela?" that both Mirabels replied with.

The two dark-haired Mirabels both looked as though they could burst out laughing any minute, glancing at each other and giggling lightly as they did so.

This was certainly an elaborate prank... even Abuela, who could typically recognize some of the shifter's movements while disguised, was currently stumped.

What tipped Mariano off as to who was who was one small detail, however... He noticed how the Mirabel in the mob of children fixed her glasses as they slipped down her nose, as opposed to the one on the balcony who had failed to readjust her lenses even once, though they were too far down to be of much visual assistance; almost as if she didn't need them at all...

Then Abuela sighed at her grandchildren's antics. "Camilo, can you please assist Mariano in the setup of his room. He will be staying with us for a longer time than anticipated and I would greatly appreciate it if you ensured his comfort." She asked.

At this, the Mirabel on the balcony, that Mariano had suspected, hopped up on the banister, sliding down around what was currently a spiral staircase, blue skirt billowing beside her as she slid.

Mariano couldn't exactly place when the change occurred but by the time not-Mirabel reached the bottom the brown-eyed shifter had taken her place.

The grin on his face was priceless as he hopped down bowing dramatically following his performance. "Of course Abuela," the chameleon began.

"I'll take care of him, and don't worry, he'll be fine..." Camilo said angelically, dark eyes shifting subtly over Mariano's form as he said this, before turning to lead him away.

"I'm sure you will..." Abuela muttered, eyes rolling as she gazed upon the other fondly, oblivious to the subliminal exchange that had just occurred.

If only she knew... Mariano thought, as he witnessed the shifter glance back towards him, a hooded gaze gracing his soft features, how much of a double meaning that sentence held...

He'd take care of him alright...