Chapter 29

Nya

Nya sighed as she walked to the meeting point. It was Monday morning, but school had been canceled. Due to all the riots everyone now had curfew, and schools were out. Call it a spring break if you will. Nya was bored so she decided to call a meeting to discuss what had happened last night. She and Jay had noticed that there had been a fourth scream...at first, they didn't think much of it, but the more she thought about it the more she believed it was the scream of a fourth person. 

Nya smiled when she saw that Lightening was already there. 

"Hey..." She greeted with a wave.

Jay grinned at her; he currently had his mask off.

"Hey Water!" He replied happily. 

The two talked for a bit when Ice and Energy arrived together.

"Hey guys!" Energy called.

Nya turned and smiled underneath her mask. "Hey Energy! Hey Ice!" She greeted.

"How was patrolling?" Ice asked.

"It was fine. We weren't able to reach one of the screams in time, but other than that not much happened." Jay answered.

"You guys heard the fourth scream, right?" Nya asked as she stood up from her spot on the ground.

Ice and Energy nodded sadly. 

"I thought only three were to be taken..." Energy muttered.

Then they all saw Earth slowly walking towards them.

"Hey you ok dude?" Jay asked.

Earth looked like he hadn't gotten any sleep last night.

Nya looked around. "Where's Fire?" Nya asked suddenly.

Everyone glanced around when they saw Earth drop his head.

"He's not coming." Earth stated.

"W-why not?" Nya asked. 

Earth hesitated and then gestured for them to follow. 

Nya slowly followed Earth as he made his way back to the city. After a bit they arrived at Misako's shop. Dread crept into Nya's chest as she realized why Earth was here. 

"What happened?" Lloyd asked.

Earth shook his head, "I don't know myself." He answered. Earth walked inside and Nya noticed Misako was nowhere to be seen. 

"Mystake, can we see him?" Earth called.

"Very well but keep the visit short." Mystake answered from behind the curtains.

Nya slowly followed Earth behind the curtains and gasped when she saw the figure lying on the couch. Tears sprang into her eyes. 

"K-kai?" Nya cried. She ran over and kneeled by the couch as she cradled his head. "No no no no no no no this isn't real." Nya cried again.

Nya glanced at Jay who stood frozen in shock, the others had the same expression aside from Earth.

Nya laid her head on her brother's chest as she cried. Mystake only watched.

After a few minutes Nya felt a hand on her shoulder. She glanced over to see Jay there with a sorrowful expression. New tears raced down her face as Nya wrapped her arms around Jay and cried into his shoulder. 

"It's ok Nya." Jay whispered. 

Nya froze at the mention of her name, but then relaxed again as he held her. Nya glanced over to see Earth staring at the form...was that guilt on his face?