14 | all i'll ever need

HIS POV

I looked at the tired blonde and sighed. It had already been a week and Emily's brother was still in a coma. The doctors had begun to lose hope. I gripped the two cups of coffee in my hands and heaved a sigh.

"Coffee?" I asked as I extended one of the cups toward Emily. She looked up at me and then at the brown cup.

"Thank you," she said as she took the cup from my hands. A small smile tugged at the corner of my lips. We had taken one step forward.

"Have the doctors said anything?" I cautiously asked and Emily shook her head. She quietly took a sip of the warm brown liquid.

I discreetly examined her. Her hair was in a high messy bun, resting like bird's nest on top of her head. Her once bright green eyes looked dull and huge dark circles had formed. Her water line was red from all the crying and her cheekbones had gotten puffy.

"I know I look like shit. You can stop making it so obvious," she murmured and I snapped my gaze away pretending to be confused by her statement.

"You should go home and have some rest," I suggested, but she shook her head.

"If anything happens, I want to be here," she replied as her eyes swelled with tears again. "Good or bad."

I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and surprisingly she did not push me away like that last few times. I brought her head to my shoulder and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"He will get through this," I assured as I gently ran my arm up and down her back in a comforting manner.

"I don't want to lose him Zayn," Emily said as she stifled her tears. I pulled her closer and she clung on to me. "He's the only family I have left. I can't lose him like I did my parents—I just can't."

"You won't Emily. He will wake up, I just know it," I replied but it did not seem to calm her. I gently pushed her chin so her gaze could meet mine. "You have to stay strong for him, Em. You have to hope for the best."

"But-"

"No buts," I said as I pushed back the baby hairs around her face and shook my head. "When your brother wakes up and I know that he will, he won't want to see his sister in such a distraught state."

"I just can't leave his side," Emily argued.

"How about this? We will set up a rotation system. Lilith stays here during the morning, you can stay during the afternoon, I'll stay during the night. If anything happens you will be the first to know," I assured.

Emily looked up at me with a grateful expression. Then it was mixed with guilt.

"I am sorry for how I have been treating you these last few days," she said as she looked down at the floor.

"There is nothing to be sorry about?" I replied as I kissed her temple. "I know what grief and sorrow can make you do. You spill out your frustration on others without realizing it."

"I really don't deserve you," she whispered and I immediately brought her face to look at me.

"Hey, don't say that," I replied. "You are going through a tuff patch right now. You fought day and night for your brother and you're still fighting for him. You deserve all the love and happiness in the world, okay?"

Emily's eyes became moist. "I love you, Zayn."

My heart swelled with love as she uttered the three words I always loved to hear from her. I would never get used to them.

"I love you, too," I whispered back as I pecked her lips. "Now, let's get you home so you can rest for a bit. Then I'll come back and look over your brother."

"O-Okay," Emily replied as she hesitantly followed me. She looked at the large window peeking into Zach's room and bid her goodbyes.

We walked out of the large hospital and I led her to my car. I smiled as I watched her immediately fall into a deep slumber on the passenger seat beside me.

***

I look at the sleeping boy on the bed. His chest rose slightly every few seconds. Despite his sleeping state, his eyes flickered left and right under his closed lids. He looked a lot like his sister. He had shaggy blonde locks that fell over his forehead. The his nose perked up at the end like Emily's.

With a deep sigh, I hesitantly moved my hand toward his. The only thing separating us was the thin rubbery material of the blue gloves I had to wear.

"I know that we haven't officially met and it might be a lot for me to ask this if you," my voice was muffled by the mask covering my mouth. "But please, please wake up. Your sister needs you. She is going to be lost without you, Zach. Please fight for her, please."

Silence surrounded the room. The only sound that could be heard was the constant beeping of the monitors around Zach. I looked down at his hand and held back the tears. A little part of me had hoped that somehow he would magically wake up, but that was just a thing that happened in fairytales.

 A little part of me had hoped that somehow he would magically wake up, but that was just a thing that happened in fairytales

Author's Note
Can we all agree that Zayn is one of the best boyfriends? Leave a comment down below if you agree. As you already know this book is coming to an end today and the last official chapter will be uploaded later today. I'll see you then my lovelies.