1.4 | night terrors

HER POV

I stepped out of the bathroom holding the white cotton towel against my damp locks. The rapid beating of my heart had not stopped.

As I stepped into the bedroom, I was surprised to see Zayn on one side of the King-sized bed and line of pillows aligned next to him.

"You put a barrier?" I asked both amused but grateful.

Zayn looked down at his little wall and nodded. He gave me a nonchalant shrug.

"I figured that the first night would be a bit awkward, so I set a barrier to make you feel more comfortable," Zayn confessed. "But if you still do not, I can sleep on the couch."

I looked over at the small two seater couch and shook my head. There was no way he would fit there.

"You can stay on the bed," I assured.

I hung the towel onto a nearby chair to air dry before I walked toward the bed. I wrapped my blonde locks into a messy bun as I slipped into the bed covered by linen sheets.

Although we were separated by the fluffy cotton-filled pillows I was still quite tense. I propped myself on my side and did my best not to go over the dividing line.

Zayn did not look as flustered. He was calmly reading his book. He looked relaxed.

A pair of black-rimmed glasses rested on the bridge of his nose. His hazel green eyes shifted left and right over every word. His mouth would pucker every now and then, probably caused by whatever he was reading.

He was surely handsome, I thought.

I diverted my gaze when he finally set the book down and closed my eyes to make it seem I was asleep.

"I know you're awake," he mumbled, but I did not budge. I let out a soft snore to make my sleeping stance more believable.

I could feel his amused gaze on my but eyes remained glued shut.

"Goodnight Emily," he finally whispered before he turned the lamp light off. I peaked one eye open and noticed he had buried himself under the duvet sheets with his back faced toward me.

I let out a quiet sigh of relief.

I turned to face the balcony window, letting the slightly warm breeze fan my face and slowly rock me to sleep.

As the darkness began to consume me, I could feel myself drifting into the usual inescapable nightmare.

"Emily put on your seatbelt," my mother reminded in a scolding tone as she leaned over to buckle me into the passenger seat.

She patted my curly blonde locks down with a concerned expression.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked.

"Mhmm," I nodded with a grin. I was happy that my car sickness had begun to die down.

"I told you to bring the gum," my father said teasingly as he too turned to check if I was alright. "It always helped me when I was your age."

"At the next stop we'll bu—Stan look out!"

The next moments flashed by in a blink of an eye. I could feel a cold liquid running my nose. I turned to my parents with a panicked expression.

They laid motionless covered in glass and buried under the car doors.

The echoing of a baby's cry filled my ears as I stared paralyzed at the scene.

"Mom... mommy. Mommy!"

"Emily wake up," I felt my shoulders being shaken and my eyes shot open as I sat up and gasped for air.

My heart was pounding rapidly as I tried to steady my breathing. My forehead was damped with sweat and my cheeks had tears trickling down them.

"You're alright, you're alright," Zayn said as he leaned over to gently rub my back in a comforting manner.

Unknowingly, I leaned into his touch and laid my head on his shoulder.

Normally I would have to face this nightly routine by myself. The same nightmare every single night. Followed by a panic attack and sleepless hours.

"I am sorry," I finally croaked.

"Sssh, you don't have to apologize," Zayn assured as he pushed back the strands of hair that had gotten stuck onto my tear-soaked cheek.

"I didn't think I would have nightmares on the first day," I joked trying to lighten up the mood.

I did not like to be vulnerable in front of others because it would mean I was weak. I also, did not want any of the contestants knowing about why I was really here.

Nor did I want to fall in love or have someone fall in love with me.

"I think I am good now, thanks," I slipped his hand off and sunk into the pillows. I turned my back to Zayn.

I was beyond embarrassed. I looked out the balcony windows trying my best to hold in the tears as the memory resurfaced.

I felt Zayn as he moved around the bed and I curiously turned to see what he was doing.

The barrier between us was gone and Zayn looked down at me with an empathetic smile.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"May I?" He opened up his arm to embrace me.

I hesitantly nodded and let his arms wrap around me. He scooted closer to me and gentle rubbed his thumb over the side of my forehead.

"Whenever I had nightmares my mother would sing me one of her favorite songs," Zayn said before he began to hum a soft melody.

His soft touch helped my throbbing temples. The warmth of his embrace made me feel secure, almost safe.

"Well, you done done me in, you bet I felt it," he sang softly.

His voice rocked me back into a peaceful slumber. No nightmares. No painful memories.

Author's Note A little moment of awe for the two lovebirds

Author's Note
A little moment of awe for the two lovebirds. We are slowly getting to know more about Emily and a little bit of her past. Do you think she'll warm up to Zayn or will she continue to have a walk around her heart? Let me know what you guys think in the comments. Also, I am working on the trailer for this book, I have just been a tad bit busy. Hopefully by next week I will have a trailer ready for you guys. Also, as I said in the last update I think I will be changing up the schedule. Instead of Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I am thinking Tuesday and Thursday. It just gives me more time to write and have a good chapter prepared for you guys rather than something rushed. What do you guys think? As always thank you for reading. Feel free to leave a like and share. I'll see you all on either Monday or Tuesday. Adios!
Xoxo Liz 💋💋💋