13 | it's too late

HER POV

I rushed down the halls with the white envelope in my hand. I ignored the various reprimanding comments of the passing doctors and nurses. I did not care if I could not run through the halls, I had to get to my brother.

I smiled brightly when I noticed Lilith. Her back was faced toward me but I knew it was her. There was a doctor standing in front of her and the two seemed to be a dee conversation. I froze when I noticed Lilith's shoulders wobbling from her sobbing.

"No!" I gasped. No, no, no. I rushed toward her and her teary eyes looked up to me. "Lilith, what happened?"

"You must be Zach's guardian?" The doctor asked and I nodded. He took in a deep breathe and my eyes widened. I knew by the look in his eyes that he did not have good news. "I am sorry to tell you this but your brother has fell into a coma. We do not know when he will awake, or if he will awake."

I felt my heart stop in an instant. "No! I have the money for the transplant. H-He has to be okay. I-I finally have the m-money."

"I am sorry Ms Salazar," the doctor sighed. "I will make sure to keep you updated if there are any changes."

"No, no, no," I did not want to believe it. It could not be true.

"'Em-" I pushed Lilith away. I trudged toward my brother's room. A large glass window allowed me visitors to look inside.

It pained me to see him hooked up to various machines and a tube stuck to his mouth. I watched as his chest rose and fell slowly.

"Emily! Emily! Em, what happened?" Zayn rushed toward me but I took a step back. I did not want to be touched by anybody. All I wanted was my brother.

"I should have been here," I said as the tears ran down my face. "I should have at least enjoyed the last few moments that I had with him. And now, I don't even know if he will ever wake up."

"Emily, he will wake up," Zayn assured as he reached for my arm, but flinched away. He looked hurt by my behavior, but I turned my attention to my brother.

"I should have never joined that stupid contest," I spat out without thinking. "I just wanted to be able to pay his medical bills and his transplant. That was all I wanted. While I was out having fun, my brother was suffering."

"This isn't your fault," Zayn replied. He tried to move closer but I continued to place distance between us and he finally gave up. "I want to be here for you, but if it is space you need then I will give you it. I'll be here when you are ready."

In a swift move he grabbed my hand and placed a light kiss on it before walking away. Lilith looked at Zayn as he disappeared down the hall.

"He is trying to comfort you Emily and it is not fair to him," Lilith said. "I know you are hurting but you have to let those around you help."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and pretended not to listen to Lilith's words. I did not deserve their comfort. I had left my brother alone while I enjoyed paradise. The guilt would not disappear that easily. I deserved to suffer alone.

HIS POV

"One Americano please," I asked the cafe barista and she quickly placed in my order. She handed me my drink and card after scanning it.

"Have a nice day, sir," she chirped. I offered a strained smile before walking toward an empty table.

I could not help but feel guilty. If I had just told Emily to go home then she could have spent the fast few moments with her brother.

"Ugh," I rubbed my throbbing temples.

"Is this seat taken?" I looked up and was surprised to see Emily's friend standing in front of me with a small smile.

"You're welcomed to take," I replied.

Lilith slipped into her seat. I noticed the dark bags under her bloody-red eyes. She looked exhausted.

"Emily has this tendency to suffer alone and push away a helping hand," Lilith began. "It doesn't mean she does not love you, she just does it as a way to punish herself if something goes wrong. Please don't leave her side."

I nodded understandingly.

"I wasn't planning on doing so," I affirmed and Lilith gave me a grateful smile. "I know that is hard to lose someone you love. I know that at times we need space to think and sort our feelings out and I know that Emily is doing that right now. However, I will stick by her through every challenge."

Lilith smiled at me. "She fell for the right guy. Thank you, thank you for taking care of her. I know she thinks it was a mistake, but that contest was the best thing to happen to her. She deserves happiness too."

My ringtone disturbed the comfortable silence around us. I pulled out the light blue device from my pocket and noticed the caller ID on the small screen.

"I have to take this," I excused myself. I flipped the phone open as I walked toward the small hospital courtyard. "Hello?

"Zayn, your dad told me that you guys headed to the hospital. Is everything alright?" Kenneth asked.

"No," I said as I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Emily's brother is in a coma and we don't know when he will wake up. Or even if he ever will."

"Oh, no. I am really sorry to hear that," Kenneth's light tone had turned sour. "If you guys need anything you know that I am available. You have to stay strong for Emily."

"Yeah, I will. Thank you," I said before hanging up the call. I looked down at the phone before closing it.

Why did life had to do us like this?

Author's Note
So.... I decided to give these two a little trial before I wrap up this book. Challenges like these can either make or break a couple and we will find out what it does to Emily and Zayn. The last two chapters will be uploaded on Thursday which will wrap up this book. I hope to see you guys then. As always, thank you so much for reading. If you enjoyed leave a vote and share. Thank you my lovelies!
Xoxo, Liz

P.s. - The first two chapters of Forbidden Redemptions will be released tomorrow. Feel free to check them out!