Chapter 34

Two days ago, Harry suggested they go to Louis' today and Louis agreed easily, eager for his boyfriend to meet his mum. Many people would think it is really early in their relationship for them to meet each other's family -Louis will meet Harry's mum and sister next month, probably, when they come to New York- but neither of them care because they love each other and to Louis, Harry is his one and only, so why wait?

Anyway, the remainder of their time in New York is mostly spent in the flat, cuddled under blankets or dancing in the kitchen. They go out a few times to have drinks and visit a little, since Louis has never been to New York.

The two of them also meet with the boys once at a café and they talk about the band. Not only the band, actually, because as you probably noticed, Niall is quite nosy and so he asked many questions about Louis and Harry. But thanks to him, they cleared a bit of a... misunderstanding?

"I'm so glad we could meet again!" Harry exclaimed happily, hugging Niall then Liam and Zayn like they had known each other for years. None of the boys minded, really. Not even Zayn despite him looking a little uneasy.

Louis on the other hand just waved at them as they sat around a table. They were in a café which served pastries and specifically french pastries, so Louis obviously went for an éclair. Harry took a strawberry tart.

"So, why did it take you so long to accept?" Niall asked and Liam elbowed him in the rib. "Oww!"

"What he means is that we're glad you called." Liam offers instead with a kind smile.

"No, I meant exactly what I said!" Niall counters and Zayn rolls his eyes while Liam pinches the bridge of his nose, seeming aware that he couldn't stop Niall.

Louis kind of wanted to chuckle at them. It was clear that they had a certain dynamic and they also seemed to have very different characters. Louis imagined Liam to be calm, rational and kind of the most mature. Next to Niall, it must not be so complicated, anyway. It was not meant to sound rude. Anyway, Niall on the other hand seemed like the fun kind -really nice, though- but also very impulsive and much too honest, like a guy that has no brain to mouth filter. And finally, Zayn who appeared to be pretty chill and maybe not mysterious but he sure did not talk much. Still, he radiated cool vibes.

"Well, we, um, didn't see each other for a bit so I guess that's why." Harry shrugged, trying to make it sound casual but there was a hurt hedge that made Louis' lips turn downward.

Niall gasped loudly and exclaimed, "What?! What did Louis do?"

Harry raised both his eyebrows and laughed a little. But Louis frowned. He did not find it funny, because he knew it was his fault and this was a bitter reminder.

"Nothing, nothing. We just live far from each other, I guess." Harry said, trying to cover up for Louis' mistake. Louis kind of hated that. He would rather have had Harry said Louis had been a bitch -which he had- rather than having Harry protecting him.

It was not that he wanted the world to know how big of a dumbass he had been, but he did not want Harry to tell himself that Louis never did anything wrong. He did not want Harry to still hurt because of what he did, either, of course he did not want that, but he needed him to acknowledge Louis' mistake and even make him pay for it for a lifetime instead of having to protect him.

"Oh fuck, I was worried for a sec, here." Niall said dramatically, bringing a hand to his heart and patting twice. "Anyways, so you're boyfriends, aren't you?" He beamed and when Louis looked at Harry this one was looking down at his lap, his neck and cheekbones a deep red.

He looked like he was almost ready to deny. Louis beat him and talked first, though.

"We are. He's my boyfriend, I'm his boyfriend." Louis smiled at Niall who started bouncing with excitement. Like the meme, you know? The little guy who bounces. Anyway, Louis would probably never get used to, nor understand, why is Niall the way he is.