Chapter- 21

Nicolas P.O.V

"Because, father said it was safe to meet you now!!!" I shouted back.

"Father? Do you mean my dad?" she asked shocked.

OH LORD!! What the hell is wrong with my mouth today? Why can't I keep it shut?

"Answer me, Nico! The 'father' you are talking about, is it my dad?" she asked again.

"W-what? How would it be your d-dad?" why the hell am I stuttering.

"Are you fooling around? Do you want me to believe that you call someone, 'father' other than my dad?" she narrowed her eyes.

What do I do now?

"What the hell are you still hiding from me, Nico?" she whispered with pleading eyes.

I sighed. How can I lie to those big doe eyes?

"Yes, it's your dad" I accepted. A gasp escaped her lips.

"My dad knows all this?" she asked to which I nodded with my head hung low.

"Speak out, Nico" she warned.

"That day, when I broke up with you, I thought your memories are enough for me to move on with my life but I realised I can't go on without you. My life felt incomplete without you. It was like a part of me went missing and it drove me crazy. After a week my life without you felt like torture, it was unbearable. So, I met up with father and told him everything that happened" I explained.

"Then what?" Bella asked.

"At first he was angry for not telling him sooner. But nevertheless he was happy that I opened up atleast now. He wanted to catch the killer by any means. He ran a secret operation by the help from his senior officer. He wanted to keep the operation confidential and secretive cause, if anything goes wrong....your life would be in danger" I continued.

"He does know how to separate work from personal matters. No wonder he is a successful police officer" she admired her father's professionalism.

"He checked all the cctv footage around the factory where I met Robert. He searched for him day and night and on one fine day, he was able to track Robert's whereabouts and the very next day father caught Robert in his hideout place. I was so happy about the news and wanted to tell you everything that happened but...." I trailed off.

"But?" she pressed.

"But, father did not like the idea. He said Robert was caught way too easy and something felt off. So, he wanted me to stay away from you for the time being and he himself will let me know when it is safe. I was not okay with the idea but it's a matter of your safety".

"So, I agreed. I waited and waited for the call from father. But it never came. The loneliness was eating me up from inside. When I thought I can't go on like this, the most awaited call came....after five years" I spilled out everything. Bella looked speechless.

"Do you think I was happy living far from you? Do you think I enjoyed distancing myself from you? I was living in hell too, Bella. Every night I regretted accepting with father's idea. There is not a single moment where I wanted to leave everything behind and just run into your arms" I forced everything out.

Bella sat there looking like a crying mess. Sobs escaped from her mouth. After a good ten minutes I composed myself. Bella was still crying silently. Not knowing what to do, I started the car and drove to her apartment. The ride was silent. None of us spoke a word.

Soon we reached her apartment. I parked the car. We got down and walked to her apartment. Bella still seemed to be in daze. I don't blame her though. The amount of truth she heard today is indeed hard to handle.