You Make Me Better

Marshall POV

"Here it is. I picked it up yesterday." I showed Alaina the special birthday present, I planned on giving Val later that night.

Laney gasped, "Oh, that's amazing! She's going to love it!"

"Yeah," I closed the box and put it in my pocket. "Hailie helped me pick it out, and she said the same thing. I had her do a little detective work and ask Val what kind of jewelry she likes. Rose gold and princess cut."

"That's perfect! So, when are you going to ask her?"

That was a tricky question. Our family would be here later tonight to celebrate Val's birthday, but I didn't really want to do it in front of all of them. Because of who I am, I didn't want to do it any place public like over dinner. I don't care if people see us out together, but I don't need anyone getting wind of something like this.

"I had this idea, but I don't know if it's corny."

Laney sat on the edge of the couch, "Try me."

"Val likes the den downstairs; I never even used that room until I met Valentina. She thinks it's cozy or whatever down there by the fire. She goes in that room to feel safe, and we've had some deep conversations and special moments down there. I was just going to do it down there tonight after everybody leaves. Sometimes less is more, ya know?"

Alaina nodded her head and smiled excitedly. "I think it's sweet. And I'm sure Val will love it."

~~

Later that afternoon, my brother and his family came over and my daughters were of course in attendance as well. We made a beautiful Italian dinner for Valentina complete with pink and black decorations and balloons, presents, cards, and a glamorous pink and black cake. Hailie got it from some bakery downtown, and we lit thirty-three sparklers on it when it was time for my beautiful girlfriend to blow out the candles. Last month she was awesome for my birthday baking me a cake and getting me a new Nike hoodie and hat from her and the girls. I knew Valentina hadn't had a proper birthday celebration in several years, I had to make tonight special.

My brother and his wife got Val a hot new Louis Vuitton bag.

"I knew you would like it. It's just your style." Ashley grinned as Val put the bag on her shoulder.

"Oh my gosh, I love it! It's a Neverfull, right? I love these! Thank you so much! I haven't a nice handbag in... a long time." She finished.

Stevie handed a gift bag over, "This is from all of us."

Bella sat in Val's lap. Our girls sat around eagerly as Valentina revealed a seashell necklace, a new makeup palette, and a bottle of perfume. My girls were so thoughtful. And the little ones were excited for their mama.

"Ok, time for my gift." I stood up from the couch, "It's out front."

Val's eyes lit up and she ran out to the driveway to see what I was talking about. I had been wanting to get Valentina a new car because the one she drove now wasn't reliable and I overheard her telling Stevie one day what her dream car was. It was a little corny if you ask me, but I get it. It fits her.

Val gasped and held both hands to her mouth, "A blue convertible Mini Coop!"