Chapter 8

"Follow me and keep up." Natasha said as she took a glance at us behind her and continued walking the hallway.

Bucky pulled me back and made sure there was a significant distance between us and Romanoff. "What the hell was that, back there?" He asked harshly as I avoided eye contact with him.

"That my dear brother was a warning."

"This wasn't what I wanted." He said and I realize the reason why he wasn't against seeking help from Fury. It was to reunite with Rogers.

"Did you think this is what I wanted? To be tied down by those heroes?" I asked, matching his tone and keeping an eye out on Romanoff who was a good distance in front of us.

"One of them is our friend, y/n." He said as he reminded me but I clenched my jaw since I have yet to forgive Rogers.

"He's not my friend anymore." I said which gained an exasperated sigh from Bucky. "In case you forgot, that hero/friend of yours wasn't able to save you."

"It wasn't his fault!" He said harshly as he was past whispering. I glanced at Natasha and noticed she wasn't looking back at us so I stopped for a moment and faced Bucky.

"But it was!"

"He was right there Bucky, and he couldn't save you. That says a lot about what kind of friend/ hero he is." I said as I was starting to get irritated. Bucky then eyed me for a while. "You're scared."

His tone wasn't that of a question but sounded like he was making a statement like he was stating the obvious.

I took a step back and chuckled at what he said as I have never feared any person or enemy in my life. "Me? Scared of him? You must be joking."

I then left him and continued walking as I tried not to lose sight of Romanoff. I haven't gotten far when he followed behind me.

"You're not scared of him. You're scared that he'll fail again. Only this time it's Wanda on the line." He said which made me stop walking and glared at him.

I wanted to refute what he said to say an excuse, but I couldn't. Because they would only be just that, excuses.

"So what if I am." I said softly as the thought of losing Wanda did scare me and I knew Bucky noticed it as his expression started to get softer. "Then let's cooperate with them. Try to be nice."

I thought about it for a while and was actually considering it. But I remembered my talk with Thor and the promise I'd given him.

"Why can't you just trust me and know that I'm doing what needs to be done?" I asked as I avoided his request.

"Trust you?"

"Don't I always?" He asked and I realized I may have insinuated that he wasn't trusting me. And given how he's been trusting me ever since I saved him from Hydra I knew I should've given him some slack.

"Bucky, that's not what I meant—"

"You say the word and I'll go anywhere blindly. You call for help and I'll be there as soon as possible." He paused but I knew he was right. "You ask me to kill for you, and I do." He said and I look at him and wonder if I raised him right.

Did I make the right choice of dragging him to this side of the world where it's killed or be killed? Should I have just let him be a normal citizen when I freed his mind?

I had all these questions in my head but I knew they were only empty questions. Questions that had no value in the present. Because the moment Hydra got him, there was no going back.

"If you want to stop, then stop. I can go on my own from here." I said since I can't force him to follow my requests every time just because I'm his sister.