Chapter 42

"It seems like you two had an interesting night." Fury commented as he glances at the two women who visibly looked tired and in pain. "But I'm assuming that you guys already handled it." Fury said in a questioning tone as Nat nodded.

"The pursuers were all eliminated— and the vials are safe." Nat informed Fury who narrowed his eyes at the mention of the vials.

Fury then noticed the contempt and annoyance on Nat's face as she glances at y/n. "So she finally told you about the vials, huh?" Fury replied as he smirked and looked at y/n.

He knew that the vials were a guarded secret of y/n. So much that Bucky didn't even know. So the mere fact that Natasha knew could only mean that Nat intimidated y/n enough to tell her.

"She was bound to find out about it eventually, anyways." Y/n said as she shrugged and Nat rolled her eyes at her.

Fury knew that y/n was making excuses but knowing how intimidating and persistent Nat is, he also knew that y/n was right.

"Well, as long as there aren't any more problems, then it's fine." Fury replied as y/n contemplated telling him her condition. "Well.." y/n trailed off as Fury quickly narrowed his eyes at her.

"There is a small problem." Y/n continued as she looked away from the director. Nat on the other hand looked at y/n knowingly.

"Let me just remind you that a simple complication, even a miscommunication can lead to the failure of this mission." Fury replied as he disliked how y/n was trying to brush this problem like it was nothing.

"I mean, we're not gonna fail just because of it." Y/n assured him but he didn't buy it. "Then tell me what the problem is." Fury replied as y/n was trying to stall.

"She's not healing anymore." Natasha informed as she was growing impatient by y/n's stalling. Fury who heard this widened his eyes as he looked at Natasha but then shifted his attention to y/n as he glared at her.

Y/n on the other hand could feel the tension in the room and decided to keep silent. Normally, y/n would be arrogant and stubborn even when it came to Fury, but now that she wasn't healing she was starting to realize why the others fear Nat and Fury.

"Are you going to sit there in silence or are you going to tell me what happened?" Fury asked as y/n looked at her hands and sighed. "I don't know what happened, okay?"

"When the car crashed I was healing just fine. But after one of those soldiers stabbed me I haven't been healing." Y/n replied as she clenched her fist as she can still feel the pain in her shoulder.

"I checked the knife, it was an ordinary combat knife. Nothing out of the ordinary." Nat added as she figured out what Fury was going to ask next.

For a moment, there was silence as Nat and Y/n looked disappointed about their situation while Fury was subtly doing something on his phone.

After he finished he looked at y/n who was clearly troubled by this new-found weakness of hers. None of them knew if y/n's vulnerability was just temporary or if it was permanent, but either way, they all knew how dangerous this was.

The GBS1, or God's Blood Sample, was a vial of y/n's blood that is used to synthesize the super soldier serum. So with y/n, not healing can complicate things since if she's captured she can be tortured and even die like the rest of them do.

Y/n who knows this all too well fell silent as she found her mortality discomforting. The thought that she might actually die at the hands of her enemies frightened her more than anything. But she didn't know why she felt this way when she wanted nothing more than finally die, all these years.