Chapter 37

"I have to ask you something and I don't know how to do it." Wanda said after she wiped the tears off her cheek but refused to look at y/n.

"Okay?" Y/n said curiously since it looked like Wanda's whole demeanor quickly changed. "Just ask." She continued.

"Is the reason why you want us to end—" Wanda paused and let out a breath then finally looked over at y/n. "—because you're in love with Nat?"

"What?" Y/n quickly asked as she thought she might have misheard her. But seeing Wanda continue to stare at her without a word confirmed that she didn't mishear.

"No.. no! No." Y/n repeatedly answered as she also vigorously shook her head at Wanda's question. "I'm not in love with Nat and she's not in love with me." Y/n continued as she tried to clear any misunderstandings.

"Really?"

Wanda looked at y/n in disbelief and anger. She knew she was sobbing her eyes out earlier because of Y/n's decision, but when she thought of Nat being the reason for that decision— all the sadness and heartbreak turned into jealousy and anger that she couldn't seem to control.

"You never saw how she would always look at you and how protective she was of you?" Wanda asked in a more hostile tone as she was beginning to wonder if y/n was telling her the truth.

"What look?" Y/n asked as she was honestly clueless as to what Wanda was insinuating. "Really?" Wanda asked again in a mocking tone but y/n didn't know what she wanted to hear.

Any other person might notice Nat's affection towards y/n but y/n didn't and hasn't noticed it for one simple reason: her heart has always belonged to Wanda.

"Yes, really, Wanda. I don't know what you're talking about." Y/n replied again as she was starting to get infuriated by the interrogation style of asking that Wanda has been doing. "Nat is just a friend."

"How about the fact that she knew you lost your memories before I did?" Wanda instantly asked. Leaving no time for y/n to calm Wanda down. "Is that also because she said just a friend?"

Wanda knew she was pushing it. But her anger seemed to only grow at y/n'a obliviousness.

"That's because we knew she can handle me if I had an episode." Y/n justified since she was aware of how Nat handled her on her first night in the compound.

"And I couldn't?!" Wanda asked in anger as y/n sighed in defeat. She knew whatever explanation she gave to Wanda would never be enough. Not until she tells her the truth about why she needs to stay away from Wanda.

"You know what— I don't have to do this." Y/n replied as she went to the door with Wanda following behind her.

"Are you just not gonna answer me?" Wanda asked which made y/n stop just in front of the door. "I don't know what you want me to say!" Y/n replied as her tone was sharp this time.

"I want you to tell me that you're really in love with Nat!"

"Yes!!" Y/n yelled as started to breathe deeply after her outburst while Wanda seemed to have lost her breath as her face quickly softens and her anger started to slowly fade.

"Is that what you wanted to hear?! Are you happy now?" Y/n asked harshly as Wanda was starting to realize her mistakes.

She pushed y/n to an answer that she wanted to hear— an answer that felt like the best reason for y/n to break things off with them, because she thought that knowing y/n fell in love with another woman was less painful than y/n falling out of love from her.

But now that she's heard it, she realized that a less hurtful way and a more hurtful way doesn't matter when it comes to ending a relationship. In the end, it all hurts the same. And this moment in particular hurt more as she could see the hurt and anger cross y/n's face.