Chapter 27

Bucky visibly paled as he stepped back in fear. Every time he would come back to the compound he'd always make sure to not think about y/n or her whereabouts for the off chance that Wanda might read his mind.

So now that he slipped up he didn't know what to do. Denying Wanda's claim would only expose him as a liar. But confirming it would be a problem considering everyone is present.

Seeing Bucky silent led Wanda to believe that he really did lock y/n up. In a fit of rage, Wanda's eyes glowed as she used her powers to fling a kitchen knife towards Bucky who caught it inches before it hit his head.

"What did you do with her?" Wanda asked as she approached Bucky who looked nervous as he didn't have any space to back away from her. "Can someone calm her down?" Bucky asked as he looked nervously at Pietro and Natasha.

"This should be fun." Natasha commented as she made no efforts to help Bucky and looked rather amused by the situation. While Pietro still looked confused as his gaze shifted between his sister and Bucky.

"Don't talk like I'm not standing right in front of you." Wanda said intimidatingly as Bucky swallowed the lump in his throat as he was scared for his life while facing Wanda, although he'd make sure no one would notice.

"Please. Calm. Down." Bucky said as he stood his ground and returned Wanda's glare. "Let's hear him out first. I'm sure he has his reasons." Steve said as Wanda continued to glare at Bucky.

"Of course, I have a reason." Bucky said as he looked back at Steve and slipped away from Wanda. "Then you better start talking Bucky." Steve said as looked at him skeptically.

Bucky who looked around the room could see everyone glaring at him except for Natasha. Bucky began pacing as he knew that it was only a matter of time before they'll know the truth about y/n's situation. But that doesn't mean that he can just casually tell them about it either.

"Y/n's gonna kill me for this." Bucky mumbled as he knew Y/n would be scolding him once she knew that he slacked off and let Wanda read his mind. "Not if I kill you first." Wanda threatened which made Bucky stop and sigh as he looked back at Wanda. "So talk, Barnes."

Bucky who had no intention of telling them anything about y/n's situation was about to think of an excuse when Tony stepped up.

"Let's start with why you locked up your own sister." Tony suggested as Bucky glared at him but he only crossed his arms in front of him as he knew that he was on the right side this time.

"Y/n asked them to—" Wanda answered for Bucky as everyone's attention shifted to her. "—isn't that right, Nat?" Wanda continued as she looked towards Natasha whose smile faded.

Natasha who was now the center of attention sighed as she knew that Wanda probably read her mind too. "I thought you agreed when y/n told you not to read mind casually?" Bucky interrupted as Wanda was reminded of how Y/n did advise her against invading someone's mind when she read y/n's. "Or were you lying to her again?" Bucky asked as Wanda looked down in regret and embarrassment.

Bucky always respected y/n's decision and he also found the twins to be his friends. But when they betrayed and broke their promise to y/n he started seeing them in a different light. It didn't help that Y/n died to save Pietro. So his relationship with the twins was a little strained right now.

"Don't talk to my sister like that again, Bucky." Pietro warned as he went between Wanda and Bucky. Bucky who was feeling stressed with everything couldn't help but let out his frustration as he walked up to Pietro. "Or what Pietro? Are you going to let me die too?"

The tension in the room was thick as the two of them seemed like they were going to fight any second. "Everyone calm down." Steve said authoritatively as Pietro looked away and Bucky scoffed but ended up backing away. "This is getting us nowhere." Steve said as both Bucky and Pietro looked at him.