Chapter 40

"I'm not really sure how to feel about this." Natasha complained as she stared down the dark road while driving with y/n in the passenger seat. "Just don't tell anyone I'm leaving." Y/n replied.

"No, not that." Natasha said as she glanced at y/n and shook her head lightly. "I'm talking about how you're asking me to be in a fake relationship with you." Natasha clarified

"Oh! That.." y/n mumbled as she stared out the window. "I do have a reason for that but I don't think you'll like it." Y/n continued as Natasha glanced at her curiously.

She knew that there was still some tension between them after y/n's revelation but as she thought about it she started to doubt if y/n can really leave Wanda behind.

It was clear to Natasha that y/n's heart would always be for Wanda. She knew that her feelings towards y/n were futile so bit by bit she decided to move forward and not chase the impossible.

"You know you're making it harder for me to continue to like you." Natasha replied as a joke which made y/n smirk as she looked back at Nat. "Finally! Some good news." Y/n joked back as both of them couldn't help but smile.

"I can't believe I forgot about how much of an asshole you are." Natasha complained which finally made y/n laugh.

Y/n was about to reply when Natasha took a left turn to cross the bridge but was suddenly hit by a rocket launcher that propelled their car and made it tumble for a while until it slid precariously to the side of the bridge.

Not even a minute passed by and a car that was from the direction the rocket came from stopped a few feet from Nat's battered car.

A hooded and masked man touched his earpiece as he relayed a message to who seemed to be his reinforcements. "Prepare the extraction team." The man ordered as he stared at the car that was surrounded by flames and wreckage.

Natasha who was starting to regain consciousness groaned as she felt her whole body ache from the impact.

Meanwhile, the hooded man menacingly stepped out of his car as he took his time and walked toward the wreck.

Natasha who noticed him quickly understood what was going on and swiftly located her seatbelt. "Y/n, we need to go. Now." She said in urgency as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

The sudden shift in the weight almost sent what was the rest of the car towards the river below. Nat quickly held onto her seat as she noticed the lifeless body of y/n dangling by her seatbelt.

"Y/n wake up!" Natasha yelled but there was no response. Nat then quickly noticed the large gash on y/n's head and the amount of blood that was all over y/n's face and clothes which could only mean that either y/n died or she was in critical condition.

Whichever one it was Nat knew that y/n would heal eventually but judging by the extent of the injuries, she knew that y/n would be unconscious for a few more minutes.

"Damnit, y/n." Nat quickly cursed as she went behind y/n's seat and grabbed her arm. In one swift move, she then unbuckled y/n's seatbelt with her other hand and quickly pulled y/n to the back seat.

"Wale up before I kill you myself, y/n!" Natasha threatened as she looks outside and saw the figure of the man coming closer.

She didn't know if she could wake up y/n quicker but she needed to try everything she could while also buying some time for y/n.

"You owe me big time for this." Nat mumbled as she grabbed her gun that was safely stashed by her waist and started firing at the man who easily blocked the bullets with his shield.

As her round of bullets was finally depleted she quickly tried to reload before the man could retaliate. But before she could even fire the next shots the man hurled his shield towards Nat but was fortunately stopped by the frame of the car.