Chapter 39

I woke up to the awful smell of pills and medication, I hate hospitals and trust me even before I could fully open my eyes, I knew I was in hospital.

I sit up and luckily I only have a drip attached to me, no beeping sound machine or any other wires, my one ankle really hurts as I move my body to sit up. I filtch a bit and as if on que a nurse walks in "Ma'Gumede, you're up" I smile faintly and rub my belly, that's the first thing I do every morning when I wake up, just to feel those tiny kicks makes my day always.

I recall everything that happened, I know I got into an accident but I have no idea how I ended up here, as I rub my belly I'm awaiting for that soft kick, I think my mind is rushing off to the possibility of what this could mean "nurse..." I look up at her while rubbing my belly and a tear drop falls from my eye as I see the sadness that covers her face, immediately I knew the news that await me.

I just looked at her waiting for her to say something "let me get you the doctor, I'll be right back" she leaves the room, I'm feeling numb, I feel like my whole world came crumbling down. You know when you're anxiously looking forward to something? When you finally have reason to get excited about the next day and the day after because something life changing is about to happen? That's how this pregnancy felt, I finally had a chance to be a mother again, to grow my little family, I had something to smile about, but God decided to take that too.

God keeps taking, First it was Muzi, he removed him from my life, then it was Nathi, he led him to someone better, and now he took my precious little baby without even getting the chance to meet him or to know his gender, I wanted it to be a surprise but deep down I knew that it had to be a baby boy.

She walks back with an Indian Doctor in scrubs, "Ms Gumede, how are you feeling?" this is really not the time for small talk "doctor please tell me that my baby is okay" and again that look of pity that I got from the nurse, only now it's coming from the doctor, I just cry and curl myself up on the bed, what is this life really trying to teach me? Life has been nothing but unkind to me...

*Nathi's POV*
It's finally visiting hours and I am at the hospital parking waiting for my mum and dad and Aya's family has already went inside. "ma, baba" I greet them and my mum wraps me into a warm hug, I give my dad a handshake, a very firm and assuring one. "have you told Amahle?" my dad asks, and it dawned to me that I haven't but she has to know, "don't tell her just yet, it might lead her to early Labour, let her give birth first" my mum suggests, which makes sense though, I can't afford to lose another child.

We walk in through to reception then I lead the way to the ward. I find her sitting up, her family is with her and she's carrying wami in her arms, her eyes look red and puffy, one thing about Aya, she's light skinned so it's easy to tell when she has been crying.

I walk in and we greet, she seems shocked to see us and I guess her family didn't tell her that they've informed me. Everyone leaves after sometime and in the room it's just her and I. I walk closer to the bed "Aya, how are you feeling?" she sighs and looks away "I wish everyone could stop asking me this question" she says, her voice breaks a bit as she says this.

I give in to the urge of wrapping my arms around her, she fights it a bit but finally just rests in my arms and sobbs softly, but what started off as soft sobbs grow louder and louder and before I knew it she was just letting it all out, "my baby" that's all she kept saying, this really broke my heart I was trying so hard to hold it all in but I found myself crying with her, I held her in my arms until she slowly dozed off to sleep.

Visiting hours are over so I head back to the office, I couldn't even focus on any of the cases I was dealing with, my mind kept running back to her and how she was feeling.

*Ayanda's POV*
I woke up and it was evening already, I had a bouquet of flowers next to me, i sat up to read the card. "I am here for you, I'm sorry for every pain I've caused you. Love Nathi"
As heart warming as this is, Nathi is still someone's husband and I need to respect that.

I decided to request for food which was sent to me in less than 10 minutes, perks of having a medical aid. I eat then doze off again.

The next morning I was woken up by my sisters who helped me take a bath, this is the first time I've bathed since I got here, then changed into a new clean set of pj's that they bought me, they even did my face a bit, those skin care routine things, I'm not much into those but yeah they really tried to cheer me up.

While Thembi was painting my nails, Mbali and Lu left earlier on, Nathi walks in holding a giant teddy bear, a bouquet of roses and a Woolworths shopping bag. "Sanbona..." Thembi greets back, I just look the other way. Thembi bids me farewell before she leaves.

"Nathi ufunani lana" I break the silence, I really need to know what this man wants here. "Ayanda we just lost our baby, we need each other" this man has the nerve!

"what about your wife? Isnt she pregnant? She'll give birth soon and at least you'll get a replacement for this baby that we've lost so you'll forget" he looks at me in shock and hurt, I don't regret any of what I said,Nathi deserves a piece of my mind.

"how could you say that Ayanda?" I chuckle in disbelief while tears roll down my eyes, "how could I? Really Nathi? How could I? This is all your fault, you're not man enough to stand up for what you want, had you decided to stay in durban and marry your trophy wife, none of this would've happened, but because you don't have the balls to go for what you want, then here we are, trying to pretend like you're not married and about to have a new born". The nurse walks in probably because she hears the noise,i was shouting and crying at this point.

"sir I'm going to have to ask you to leave" the nurse tells him, he looks at me and I just look away "he must take all these flowers and gifts with him" I look up at him and for the first time I see a tear drop rolling down is eye....