Chhater 42

*day of the ceremony*
I slept in Andiswa's room since well you know the situation. I got woken up and 3a.m by MaSithole and Ma, both Nathi and I were taken to a near by river where we were individually cleansed and I was bought a new dress to wear after the cleansing, it's what Zulu brides wear on the first day after the wedding, and a doek to match.

We then walked back to the yard, we were led to an empty room which I assume is where the mabaso's perform their rituals. "kuzomele nimuqambe igama..." Ma'sithole says. It's now just myself, the seer and Nathi. I look down trying to hold back my tears, ideally would've loved for this moment to be when my baby would be introduced to the ancestors alive and healthy, not as one of the ancestors himself.

"Lisakhanya" I say between my soft sobbs, Ma nods then directs her attention to Nathi, who looks at him for some sort of approval, I nod, "Thandolwethu" I'm just as shocked, I look at him and he looks down.

"abaphansi bamthathile umfana Ngoba bebona ukuthi aninakho ukuthula phakathi kwenu" she says, "Nathi, this was the first and only son that the ancestors have blessed you with, but because you couldn't be assertive and follow your heart, your decisions led you to losing your one and only heir, until you do what is right, they might never ever have mercy on you" he sighs, it looks like he knows exactly what Ma is talking about and I'm the only one confused here.

"Ma'Gumede, Nathi is the one holding your happiness, the joy that you long for, his heart is what holds you back from finding and experiencing true love, Nathi ndodana kuzomele ukhulule inhliziyo" this is why I've never been one to pay attention to anything related to ancestors, it always leaves me confused, what is she on about?

"Thatha, you will bath with this for 3 days after this weekend and apply this for a week" she hands two containers to me then hands a few things to Nathi as well "a lot will get revealed to you over the few months to come, stay strong and take it as a lesson, the ancestors are forgiving but they always want us to learn from our mistakes"

With that said she stands and walks out leaving me confused, Nathi understands, he clearly does. I stand and leave as well. It's almost midday and my family is all here. I walk over to them and grab a chair, I sit next to my mum and put my head on her shoulder, she chuckles a bit, "Umdala nakanje Ayanda" we all laugh "ninjani?" I ask, "sisuthi" Mbali answers, we just laugh, one thing about the Mabaso's they're very good at hosting guests. My dad is with Bab'Mabaso somewhere it's just my mum and my sisters.

My baby is asleep on my sisters arms, I take her and immediately she's up, she touches my face "mama..." and you know me, i cried instantly she placed her head on my chest and found a way to sneak her tiny hand into my breast as usual, and just like that she's back to sleeping.

I haven't spoken to Muzi since I arrived here. Her fiancee has been avoiding me since our last conversation and honestly I couldn't be bothered. A young boy is sent to my sisters to bring Brutal fruit 6 pack and 6 pack savanna, one thing about my sisters, they will drink!

I stand to go and put wami down in Nathi's room because she's heavy. I walk in without knocking and find him shirtless, I instantly froze on my tracks, "Aya, I need your help, which shirt, navy blue or white?" he asks "Uhm, urhh, white" he smiles "I knew you'd agree with me on this one, he grabs the lacoste golf t-shirt and wears it.

He walks over to me,"oh the little princess is here" he takes her and she's up even before I can stop him. "she was asleep though!" I raise my voice a bit. "ungangithethisi phela, Ngiyaxolisa ke" he walks out with her leaving me standing there.

I'm defeated. As I'm about to walk out, Amahle walks on carrying an overnight bag, she looks highly pregnant, she could give birth anytime. "Hi" she greets me and places her bags on the bed, "hi, I'll go and find Nathi for you" I say as I walk out "dont bother, I saw him all glued to your child" well that's a cold one, I mean has she forgotten that Wami is Nathi's child just as much as she's mine?

"OK" that's all I say and I hold the door handle. "take your bags with you, I'm here now, women perfume makes me sick, it's probably a pregnancy thing, you wouldn't understand though" I just take my bags and walk out. I want to crumble and cry but I won't give her that satisfaction. I walk out with my bags and place them in Andiswa' s room while I look for Nathi, I need my car keys to pack my belongings in there.

I go back to my mum and sisters and tell them what happened, I breakdown, my sisters instantly want to walk up to her but I stop them, she's pregnant, the last thing I want is being the reason behind her losing her baby.

Andiswa brings me food when she sees that I'm down. I eat a bit and decide that I'll go and lie down. I find Nathi sitting with Muzi and 2 other guys with Wami in his arms, she seems me and raises her arms for me to carry her. I take her and again she traces her tiny hands on my face as if in disbelief that it's really me. "Sanbona" I greet, they all greet back, Muzi has his eyes glued to me but I pay no attention. "Nathi, may I please have the car keys" he gives me a questioning look, instead of handing me the keys he stands and I follow him. We get to my car.

"what's wrong Aya?" he asks, looking really concerned. "your wife is here, she was bragging about her pregnancy and told me to take my bags with me" he sighs, but his face, he looks really upset, his jaw is clenched. "Ngiyaxolisa Magumede, I had no idea that she was coming" I just nod and at this point I'm crying. He pulls me into his embrace and wipes my tears. I pull away and he does the usual, plants a kiss on my forehead, Wami giggles at this and we both laugh wondering what she's giggling about.

He then decides that he'll go and fetch my bags for me and put them in the car.

The rest of the weekend went quite well, Nathi drove down with me since his wife flew to Durban so he suggested that she must fly back to joburg even though I tried to explain to him that it's risky for a pregnant Woman to take a flight he just flat out ignored me. I'm taking my baby home with me and I've never been happier. I missed her so much...