ghost story | elevenrose

"it's the oldest story in the universe

"it's the oldest story in the universe. this one or any other." the doctor slung his arm around clara without even thinking about it.

"boy in girl fall in love, get separated by events, war, politics, accidents in time." his brain couldn't stop. he tried, he really tried not to think of rose but he couldn't help it.

she was falling. everything stopped, the daleks, the cybermen, time stopped.

rose was falling into the void. he couldn't save her. this time, this one time, he couldn't save her.

"she's thrown out of the hex or he's thrown into it." tears began to form.

it was like time was passing in slow motion, yet everything in the whole universe was happening all at once.

but then there was pete. he zapped in, grabbed rose, and zapped out as fast as he could.

and just like that, rose tyler was gone.

"since then they've been yearning for each other, across time and space, across dimensions."

he had searched for her. even though he knew that he was never going to find her, in the little things he was always looking for her.

and against all odds, he'd found her.

"why don't you ask her yourself." he'd turned around, refusing to believe it.

but she was there. rose tyler was standing in front of him.

"this isn't a ghost story. it's a, love story!" the doctor looked at clara, who was staring up at him with her big eyes, and he yanked his arm away from her neck.

he couldn't bring himself to do it. he couldn't forget about her no matter how hard he tried.

"are you alright?" clara asked. the doctor blinked and realized a tear was falling.

"fine." he wiped the tear. "there are more one type of ghost stories, you know."

"doctor." the doctors head whirled around as the familiar voice called him. "doctor."

"doctor, are you alright?" clara asked cautiously.

"did you hear that?" he whispered. his face held fear on it, and clara was a bit worried.

"hear what?" she asked carefully. "doctor, there's no one here."

"doctor." the voice called out again, a bit louder. clara's head turned slightly. "doctor."

"rose."

"doctor, it's me." the voice sounded muffled, as if rose was talking to him through a glass window. "i'm here doctor."

he shook his head, smiling sadly.

"you're just a memory. a ghost story." his voice cracked. "a chapter i won't forget."

"oh doctor." it was as if he could feel her hand on his cheek, and all he wanted was to hold her hand in his. "are you alone? do you have someone to hold your hand?"

"i miss you rose." it was the first time he'd spoken those words out loud.

"don't be on your own doctor." the voice was getting further and further away. "be happy. live your life, and never stop being a doctor."

"i'll always be the doctor so long as i remember who made me one." his voice cracked, and this time the tears wouldn't stop. he got no response. "rose?"

still no response.

rose was once again, gone.