no surrender | twelverose

well we busted out of class,

had to get away from those fools,

we learned more from a three minute record baby,

then we ever learned in school,

he could feel it. he could always feel it. regeneration. the time lords had given him more regeneration energy.

who knew when it would run out.

inside the tardis was the place the doctor felt the most comfortable regenerating. but it wasn't right.

because rose tyler didn't stand next to him. and it hurt his hearts. it made him fear the unknown instead of embrace it like he once had.

he could only hope this next version of him would bear some resemblance to her, carry some form of her with him.

tonight i hear the neighborhood drummer sound,

i can feel my heart begin to pound,

you say you're tired and you just wanna close your eyes,

and follow your dreams down,

"i'm tired." the doctor said. "i'm tired of it all."

he imagined rose standing next to him as he told her about his troubles. he'd give anything to talk her to just one more time.

"i don't know how much more i get." he grunted in pain. "how many times i have to do this, without you."

he didn't know how much more he could take.

well we made a promise,

we swore we'd always remember,

no retreat baby no surrender,

"how long are you gonna stay with me?" he whispered out loud. "you told me forever. you promised me forever."

he chuckled.

"of course, in a way, you kept that promise. you spent your forever with me. but it's not fair that my forever will go on infinitely longer than yours ever could." the pain got the better of him and he kneeled down. the grunts were growing more fierce.

"it's not fair."

like soldiers on a winters night,

with a vow to defend,

no retreat baby no surrender,

rose was his person. she always had been, and more than ever before he regretted not telling her so when he had the chance.

he couldn't even bring himself to do it on that fateful day at the beach. and it had eaten away at him to the point where he was sure he'd regenerate from the heartbreak.

"you were always so good at helping people. especially me. i can't even remember the person i was before you." he stood up shakily. "but i can't remember the person i was when i was with you either."

nothing felt right. the fear gripped at both his hearts. it shook his whole body.

regeneration had never felt like this when he had her. and he'd done it 4 times with her.

"i don't know how to do this without you. you were supposed to be here. forever."

well now young faces grow sad and old,

and hearts of fire grow cold,

he had grown young for her. not once, not twice. but three times. 9 wasn't young of course, but he wasn't an old man any longer thanks to the bad wolf girl he didn't recognize until later. 10 had the face and figure of a teenage boy, while 11 was a man child.