The Firebending Masters

(Y/N) POV

Zuko was giving Aang his first firebending lesson. I sat on a rock watching them since I still don't trust Zuko fully.
"I know you're nervous, but remember, firebending in and of itself is not something to fear.", Zuko explained to Aang
"Okay. Not something to fear."
"But if you don't respect it ... it'll chew you up and spit you out like an angry komodo rhino."
Those words scared Aang.
"Now, show me what you've got. Any amount of fire you can make."
Aang took a deep breath then shot his palm out but just a puff of smoke came out.
"Maybe I need a little more instruction. Perhaps a demonstration?"
"Good idea. You might wanna take a couple steps back."

Zuko took a deep breath out then shot his fist out but a little fire came out.

Aang clapped while I pinched my nose to prevent myself from laughing.
"What was that? That was the worst firebending I've ever seen.", Zuko complained.
"I thought it was nice.", Aang said.
Zuko tried to firebend again but it was the same result.
"Why is this happening?", he yelled.
"I don't know but yesterday your firebending was okay when you fought against Combustion Man.", I said.
"Maybe it's the altitude.", Aang wondered.
"Yeah, could be."

We went to another place so Zuko could firebend. He tried again but it was the same result again.
"Just breathe, and ... ", he shot his fist out again but it was again the same result.
"That one kind of felt hot.", Aang joked.
"Don't patronize me. You know what it's supposed to look like."
"Sorry, Sifu Hotman."
"And stop calling me that."
Then Sokka came to us with an apple in his hand and sat down on a rock.
"Hey, jerks. Mind if I watch you two jerk do your jerk bending?"
"Get out of here!", Zuko yelled at him.
"Sokka, can you do me a favor and get out of here please. So these two can concentrate on firebending.", I begged.
"Since you ask so nicely, I was just kidding around. Jerkbending. Still got it.", he joked walking away.
Zuko whined in frustation that he couldn't firebend anymore.

In the evening

Zuko's POV

I was leaning against a pillar and watched the others around the fireplace.
"Listen, everybody. I've got some pretty bad news. I've lost my stuff.", I told.
"Don't look at me. I didn't touch your stuff.", the earthbender girl or Toph said.
"I'm talking about my firebending. It's gone.", I clarified.
Suddenly Katara laughed at me. I glared at her.
"I'm sorry. I'm just laughing at the irony. You know how it would've been nice if you'd lost your firebending a long time ago.", she said.
"Oh yeah, if he really lost his firebending, he wouldn't teach Aang and Aang wouldn't fight the Fire Lord and we would be dead in a few days. Is that funny to you?", (Y/N) wondered glaring at her.
Katara looked away in shame.
"Well, it's not lost. It's just ... weaker for some reason.", I explained.
"Maybe you're not as good as you think you are.", Katara insulted.
"Ouch.", Toph said.
I glared at her again.
"I bet it's because I changed sides.", I wondered.
"That's ridiculous."
"I don't know. Maybe it isn't. Maybe your firebending comes from rage and you just don't have enough anger to fuel it anymore.", Aang opinioned.
"So all we need to do is make Zuko angry. Easy enough.", he started to poke me with the handle of his sword.
"OKAY, CUT IT OUT!", I yelled at him making him flinch, "Look. Even if you're right, I don't want to rely on hate and anger anymore. There has to be another way."
"You gottta need to learn to draw your firebending from a different source. I recommend the original source.", Toph said.
"How's he supposed to do that? By jumping into a volcano?", Sokka joked.
"No. Zuko needs to go back to the original source of firebending."
"So is it jumping into a volcano?"
"I don't know. For earthbending, the original benders were bagdermoles. One day, when I was little, I ran away and hid in a cave. That's where i met them. They were blind, just like me, so we understood each other. I was able to learn earthbending, not just as a martial art but as an extension of my senses. For them, the original earthbenders, it wasn't just about fighting. It was their way of interacting with the world.", she told.
"That's amazing, Toph. I learned from the monks, but the original airbenders were the sky bison.", Aang said then turned to his bison, "Maybe you can give me a lesson sometime, buddy."
"Well, this doesn't help me.", I said.
"Yeah, the original firebenders were dragons and they're extinct.", (Y/N) told.
"What do you mean? Roku had a dragon, and there were plenty of dragons when I was a kid.", Aang said.
"Well, they aren't around anymore, okay?", I yelled.
"Okay, okay. Sorry."
"(Y/N) can teach you. I mean, she's a dragon.", Sokka mentioned.
(Y/N) and I looked at each other.
"Sokka, just because I'm the Dragon Guardian and can transform into a dragon, doesn't mean I can teach someone firebending. I don't even know how to do that.", she said.
"But maybe there's another way. The first people to learn from the dragons were the ancient Sun Warriors.", I told.
"Sun Warriors? Well, I know they weren't around when I was a kid.", Aang said.
"No, they died off thousands of years ago but their civilization wasn't far from where we are now. Maybe we could learn by poking around their ruins."
"It's like the monks used to tell me. Sometimes, the shadows of the past can be felt by the present."
"So what? Maybe you'll pick up some super old Sun Warrior energy just by standing where they stood 1,000 years ago?", Sokka questioned.
"More or less. Either i find new way to firebend, or the Avatar has to find a new teacher.", I answered.