Chapter 30

As the demon drifted off into rest the world serged around him. He shot awake in an unfamiliar place.

He looked around, everything was monochromatic colors. The sky drifts from an eerie greys to browns towards the ground. He felt like he was intruding.

“The mindscape but…”, He turns around on his heel, confused. Fields of wheat run longways across the land.

Giant dark objects loom in the distance, obscured by the area's heavy fog. He scans his immediate proximity. “I’ve been here before…”.

His thoughts are interrupted by the sound of metal clanking and humming that can be heard wafting throughout the vast space.

The demon sifts and pushes through the thick wheat to follow the noise. His feet squish and sink into the mud underfoot.

It gives him some trouble as it only seems to get harder to move the plants aside. He stops momentarily as the shocks are suddenly taller than they were.

They blocked out what little light there was to spare in the desolate place. Bill yelps as the wet ground gave way beneath him and gravity takes hold.

He’s thrown onto the ground, air leaving him abruptly. He blinks as sunlight breaks through the confines of his eyelids. The demon winces as he sits up and gets a grip on his surroundings.

A dirt road lies in front of him. Dusting off his clothes he gets to his feet. It appears to be early morning, the crack of dawn just barely making it over the horizon.

He takes a step forwards and suddenly his foothold changes once again. The soft tap of tile is the first of several noises that burst into view around him.

The demon had now been placed in a bustling restaurant. The smell of early morning delights and the clattering of kitchenware filled the establishment. The being felt out of place here.

“What is this….”, he mutters as his posture shrinks shyly. Just across the restaurant in one of the back booths is his long-lost friend. He is fixed in place and everything moves around him.

The stationary man is in the middle of looking at a newspaper all whilst his other hand is suspended in the motion of sipping coffee.

Bill walks over to him, his presence isn’t even regarded by anyone else in the room. He sits down in the booth across from Ford.

The creaking of the booth sounds weird against how still he was. This was all very surreal. The beast takes in the elderly man’s features a moment and shakes his head.

“If only I could go back….”, he said to himself just before the man resumed motion before him.

The man briefly sips his coffee before calmly looking over at Bill.

“Meet me here. If you want to talk.”, the demon cocks his head bemused.

“Wait, what, Sixer I-”, he sputters out before the man waves to him and he falls backward into the abyss of the booth.

The blonde wakes up in a cold sweat sitting up in bed. He rubs his temples and lays back down a moment.

“What’s that suppose to mean…”, he says. The alarm clock shone green, 6:30 A.M. Dipper is still asleep on the other side of the room.

Bill makes his way over to the closet without waking him. He borrows some of the boy’s clothes hoping that he wouldn’t notice. They are snugger on him, but he didn't care right now. He was on a mission.

By mid-morning he had crept out of the home and began walking aimlessly away from the Mystery Shack. He followed what had a semblance to his dream.

The sun was just poking over the horizon as his body jittered with the sensation of deja-vu. He had to be on the right path.

“There it is.”, he said with a smile of relief which quickly faded into nervousness. Down the hill was the diner he had been in. Bill pushed open the glass door which chimed with the bell overhead.

He walked in pulling his hood over his head so no one could see his face. Walking to the back he quickly counted the seats and recalled all the busy hubbub around him.

There he was.